The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVLA make a decision - at last
Afternoon all,

Just received this via FBHVC - should put the cat amongst the pigeons!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...idance.pdf
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
At a quick read through I can't see too many problems here. Will this self-declaration have to be done for pre 1960 vehicles?

And it comes from the Department of Transport, don't think it has much to do with DVLA.
This doesn't affect me(much) as I'm here in the US. How does this affect Ulster Reps or things like Hamblin Cadets? It appears that they have not really touched the bodies, only things which substantially change the engine and suspension. So if you are building a special with tube framework and/or independent front suspension, those might not be allowed. If you want to convert your Ulster Rep to a split front axle or possibly convert the single shock absorber to two, that might be an issue.

Erich in cold and wet Seattle
Although it says they are not considered substantial changes if 
" in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance;"
So improving road holding shouldn't be a problem...
(18-12-2017, 08:02 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Although it says they are not considered substantial changes if 
" in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance;"
So improving road holding shouldn't be a problem...

Hmmm.
I have an 1956 MG Magnette ZA that I retrofitted (professionally) with electric power steering and it has transformed the "driveability" of the car without affecting the feel one scrap. My insurers were not concerned at all.
I think I can call it an efficiency change.....
Mind you I put it through an "MOT" every year.
I am interested to hear what, if any, pitfalls to the A7 people can read into this?
I can’t see any pit falls at the moment as it is greatly improved from the previous version.  It will be interesting to see if this changes the view of DVLA in respect of registering cars as they have now made a clear distinction re a car with a chassis and a monocoque and do not appear to be to concern re originally.
(18-12-2017, 07:29 PM)Erich Wrote:  If you want to convert your Ulster Rep to a split front axle or possibly convert the single shock absorber to two, that might be an issue.

Erich in cold and wet Seattle

I can't see a problem with the shock absorber. Would that be considered as  "alteration of the type and/or method of suspension".

I guess the sevens fitted with a Reliant ohv engine would lose exemption from the MoT. Using a Reliant side-valve I guess would be ok.
Interesting point about the Reliant OHV engines, but these have been around since 1962, with the 600 and 701cc the 750cc (1973) and 850cc (1975) engines could be counted as over the 30 year thing, but I wonder it a later version of the same engine would be eligible?
From my reading of it, reconstructed classics will not be exempt, ie a currently unregistered chassis made into a car and newly registered even if all old parts will not be exempt whereas now it would be. Unless others read it differently.