The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brake lever
Would anyone recognise these particular (peculiar) brake levers on the rear of my Nippy? They are approx. 2 3/4" eye to eye. I have not been able to find any reference to them including the Speedex site. Would they be a part of a Bowden cable setup for a pre Girling car that somehow has ended up on the rear? I do have Bowden cable brake on the front with Girling brakes and it seems to be using the longer rear levers from a Girling car.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They look like Girling rear brake levers that have been bent so that they clear the back axle tube.
Hi Willy,
Although I have a suspicion that from the casting marks on your curved brake levers they may not be from the Austin/Semi-Girling foundry I may have just come across a genuine curved lever when rummaging in my S-G box of bits.  It's. 2. 1/4" long from centre line of holes, cast 'A' in a triangle with rather poor just readable 1A7269, but which car model it belongs to I have no idea.
All the best.
Peter.
1A 7269 I have noted as 5:25 pinion but I do not know where that came from??

The nearest (numerical) part number I can find is 1A 7264 which is a nearside brake cam used from July 1938...

I don't know how the parts were numbered but somebody will.
Just had another look at my 70+ year old curved brake lever Ruairidh and yes 1A726? is readable but the last digit isn't and could be an 8, 9 or even 0. Still. at least curved levers do exist and that information may be enough to assist a fellow Austineer, plus I do love the odd bit of detective work. [Image: smile.png]
Happy Christmas, Peter.
Thank you.

Let me see if the alternatives are listed.
1A7262 is a Girling type nearside brake lever - the one on the right below...

The one on the left is from the last of the Austin (offset shoe) system - which has more similarities to the one Wild-Willy has posted when compared, I am still not convinced is the same however.
The original post implies that the front brakes are using Girling long rear levers. Surely these wouldn't work, they should be cranked for Bowdenex.
As mentioned in a previous post long levers foul on the axle if fitted to the rear. In the 60s I used long rear levers on my 1930 car. To avoid them fouling I had the levers pointing upwards but also swapped the cams side to side to get the correct angle wrt the cable. Worked well but the pedal did move with axle movement - not a problem with split braking.
Jim
Thanks to you all for the valuable input. I think I will need to remove one of these levers to see if there is a part number. They aren't Girling types though.
With regard to the front brakes the arms are straight long Girling type which are operated vertically from the front unlike any I've seen before.

I have just recently purchased the 7 and am trying to come to grips with the new fangled brakes it has.

Any suggestions for improvement would be gratefully accepted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(21-12-2017, 02:11 AM)wild_willy Wrote: Thanks to you all for the valuable input. I think I will need to remove one of these levers to see if there is a part number. They aren't Girling types though.
With regard to the front brakes the arms are straight long Girling type which are operated vertically from the front unlike any I've seen before.

I have just recently purchased the 7 and am trying to come to grips with the new fangled brakes it has.

Any suggestions for improvement would be gratefully accepted.

One of my cars uses Bowdenex with these levers. I have photos which show the same arrangement in 1938. The car stops very well. Sorry, no idea about the rear levers.

Regards,
Stuart