The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adhesive for genuine Rexine.
There's nowt wrong with being careful wi tha brass!
'course not, Russell, I might need it sometime.
I found the spray glue lost its hold on both modern Plether ( plastic leather) and wool headlining after about 3 years. Don't remember the make but used Evostick second time round to better effect. Pete
I am having this conversation on another forum about the Vauxhall - I did the parcel shelf and the glue promptly let go. The advice I am getting elsewhere is to find high heat glue as car interiors can get very hot. Less relevant to some 7's and to England the UK (maybe) but I am struggling because I can't find any.

They also don't recommend spray and at least one posted this link

https://www.williammarstonltd.co.uk/products/tins-cans/

Landau glue seems to be a key term.
For any contact adhesive the surfaces must be clean (and vinyl may still have a coating of solvent/release agent) and should be roughened prior to application to create a key for the glue.
 My experience of spray adhesive , both cheap stuff and that supplied by the upholsterer, is that it lets go after about three years and I need to do the job again.  The glue seems to dry and become a ginger coloured powder.
There is definitely a horses for courses caveat here. Spray adhesive and even liquid glue is frequently used to hold items "temporarily" until they are covered, stapled or glued.

Careful consideration needs to be made if glueing headlinings and modern vinyl with a fabric coating on the inside; it is not necessarily the glue that lets go, but the fibres in the lining.

I have today been making some door panels, I used spray adhesive sparingly, then staples. looking over the job; there is nowhere were the glued bits are not covered and held by another piece of fabric, beading or staples. I recently rehupolstered front and rear seats in leather and leathercloth, again I cannot recall using any adhesive that is not reinforced with stitching, staples or rivets. Even the small bits of trim around doors or windows which are glued are subsequently tacked in place.

I don't doubt there are places where "glue" is the primary fixative.. the wheelarch covers? for which I use spray adhesive on both surfaces and I have one car done in 1983 and another in 1991. Both are stuck fast. I doubt there is one adhesive suitable for all applications.

I lied...I just looked at the photos...The car restored in 1983 was done with Evo-Sick....(Not the whole car...just the upholstery)
The Yorkshireman's motto:

Hear all, see all, say nowt.
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.
And if that does owt for nowt, alluz do it fer thisen.

D. Wortley

(he knows I mean him no ill)
Well Reckers you have hit the nail on the head! That has been Helen's motto for many years. Her middle name is "reduced". Quite a number of our groceries have the yellow sticker on them.