The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early dipstick
As we are posting about dipsticks, I though I would add this to the mix.

I came across the two early dipsticks, they are both unmodified and judging by age look original but as you will see in the photo different length above an below the fill line, I did ask in our local club if any one new why, but no answers.  Any thoughts?

I've got a pair of dip sticks identical to these. The longer on started out longer at the oily end as well but I shortened it to suit. I assumed it had originally come from a bigger Austin. Heavy Twelve perhaps?

Steve
The short one looks like it came from a magneto engine, the long one from a 28 - 31 coil engine, although all my dipsticks, mag or coil are the same measurement from bottom to "full".

Interestingly, they appear in the spares book for 1927 and 1929 as BA49, so interchangeable?
I would think the critical bit is the bottom measure. The short one would be difficult to pull out with an oily knob - ooh Matron !
Indeed Tony, the whole oil check and addition process is challenging on Mag engines!

.jpg   DSC_0976s.JPG (Size: 38.46 KB / Downloads: 81)