The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARP bolt torque
35 lb/ft torque for big ends if I understand right. My question is, is that with dry or oiled threads?
All ARP bolts I’ve fitted in the past have been supplied with lubricant and recommended for assembly before torquing down.
Thanks Ivor, this is a rebuild so I don't have any assembly instructions or lube. I see that there are various exotic assembly lube products on the market but hopefully a splurge of oil should do the trick.
HI,
it depends on what you class as a rebuild, what make of rod are they fitted to?
I would recommend new ARP bolts as you do not know if there has been stretch or not and there lubricant

Colin 
NZ
Tom, I don’t want to resurrect the thread of if you need to use a torque wrench or not but my car is just a road car that is not used in any competition stuff or anything like that. I never use a torque wrench just the correct length of spanner. If I know the history of the bolts am using and they appear good I will reuse them but as you don’t I would like others invest in new they are reasonable cheap. I am sure the old mechanics in the 50s did this. To my knowledge stretch bolts were not used in Austin Seven engines when manufactured so why do we need them now.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
5/16 UNF thread. 30lb/ft using the proper ARP lube not a splurge of oil
Hi all, I should say I’m rebuilding an engine built by my dad so I’m know the history of the bolts. They are Hadley rods and I have bought a torque wrench for this job on the basis that it’ll always be useful! 
Is reusing bolts definitely not recommended? Or just where their history is unknown?
Hadley rods do not use ARP bolts. Torque is 35 lbs/ft dry. Nice rods, I have a set.

The last race engine I built I bought all new ARP bolts and the ARP lube, I didn’t want to risk ten grands worth going bang!

For my Austin road engines I tend to be a bit more relaxed, but I’m not going to say HOW relaxed because I’ll get told off, but in nearly half a century I haven’t had a failure....nevertheless, with Hadley rods, it sounds like a good engine, so new bolts and proper lube in my view.