The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK DEPTH
Hi all, I have a standard engine in my 7 Nippy, that the dipstick goes right down to the finger ring at the top when dipping to gauge oil content. Is this correct or should it be held off higher up the stem?
Apologies if this is a simple question but this could be giving a false reading.
Regards RPM
With the standard engine your dipstick fit is correct.
Thanks for the confirmation, Robert.
I was about ask a similar question about my standard dipstick - so thanks for the archive answer.

The other question is how much oil between the min and max marks on the stick?

I have asked around before and never got a solid answer.
Hi

On my Pearl, the "Full" mark is 3 3/8 inches below the bottom of the ring. There is no other mark, but the bottom tip of the dipstick is another 1 3/4 inches lower.

I make the area of the sump 52 square inches, so a change in depth of 1 inch represents 52 cubic inches or 1.5 imperial pints.
Hi

I find that if I fill the sump to the ‘full’ mark on the dipstick the engine tends to blow oil out of the tappet cover and sometimes up through the dipstick hole. I now fill to about 1/4” below the mark.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks all that gives me a feel for where I should be.

On the attached photo my current oil level is 2/3 from min to max and given Howard's warning I may leave it there.

I will do some further experiments when I have time.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers

Dave