The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Grey Mag - echoes from the past
For several years i have been collecting back issues of the Grey Mag, with only the 90's still to track down [i have a good number of doubles so message me for any missing numbers you have]. Since the Christmas break i have sorted them out into an order on the book shelve and now read at the rate of one a day. 

I have noticed several topics crop up on this Forum and also on Facebook which have made me realise that the problems and criticisms we currently face as a movement are much the same as they were in the early 1970's [i was not around then so cannot comment] but the main ones that keep cropping up are:

- Taking the cars to rallys on trailers 
- over restoration of cars
- the cost of fuel
- the cost of cars & spares
- unscrupulous dealers buying and selling cars
- the future of our cars as we all get older and how no one is interested in "old cars"
- the building of specials / cutting up perfectly good cars

Not sure the reason of this thread, more just to  highlight that todays discussions and worries are much the same as they have always been. so far i have read upto 1975 and wonder where the next 46 years will take me!
John - Howard Annett holds the back issues of the Association 'Grey' mag and may be able to supply you those that you lack. Send him an email to

backissues@a7ca.org

He may also be able to provide you with the correct binders to hold your magazines...

hth...
Early issues of the “grey mag” are bursting with useful technical info and are a must-have in my opinion.
I have always kept the grey mags which contain useful tech info (or a picture of my car!)

As for the topics covered:
I see absolutely no point having a drivable car and putting on a trailer.
Over restored cars need to be trialled for a season.
Fuel is still expensive
Often the wrong cars are grossly over priced, but spares remain excellent value in my view
There will always be unscrupulous dealers, while there’s money to be made for very little effort
I don’t think the future of our cars is too desperate, there are some enthusiastic youngsters about and as modern cars become increasingly dreary, there will always be interest in our motoring history.
Finally, anyone who cuts up a perfectly salvageable Seven should be shot.

Now I’ve got that off my chest who wants to vote for me to replace Boris!
I would.
Me too.

I've a full set of Association Magazines from the very first and whilst I don't look at them all the time, the best use for them is when I know they include whatever it is I'm looking for but then spend a couple of hours or so looking through them to find it.

Steve
And me! Now, how can we organise that?
I think you have to wait until 2025 and then vote for someone else... I am lucky. I get to vote Macron out in 18 months time.
Yeh!

But remember democracy sucks! As the Texan said to Californian!

Cheers

Howard
(22-01-2021, 08:22 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Me too.

I've a full set of Association Magazines from the very first and whilst I don't look at them all the time, the best use for them is when I know they include whatever it is I'm looking for but then spend a couple of hours or so looking through them to find it.

Steve
In my collection I have "Magazine Index 1990A to 2005D" and '2006A to 2015D' both from the A7CA.