The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Propshaft
hi dave,

the truely rear bit is the back axle flange its attached to.

tony
The RP Saloon I had for many years (first registered 31 December 1933) but sold in 2003 had an identical prop shaft to the one in the photo except that it had the 6 hole flange. I've no reason to believe it wasn't original to the car. The H/S joint was of the early type with no needle rollers, simply running in steel cups. Once the set up wore, it wasn't recoverable. Although the car left me a long time ago I still have the prop shaft etc. as I converted the car to a proper full H/S prop shaft which was a massive improvement.

Steve
The HS coupling is not interchangeable with the 6 bolt flange unit. What I find interesting is that Austin ignored Hardy Spicer recommendation of using their couplings in pairs.
Like Steve’s, my own RP, first registered on 4th July 1933, has the early type Hardy Spicer joint, my chassis number being 180 chassis’s after the change point. Fortunately mine is in good condition, and, to keep it so I have filled it with graphited grease as per Doug Woodrow. Overhauling the early joint seems to require access to a good machine shop!
Of course the detail, chapter and verse can be found here...

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/IC_A7_BP.pdf

Hugh
(21-01-2021, 05:27 PM)Archivist Wrote: Of course the detail, chapter and verse can be found here...

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/IC_A7_BP.pdf

Hugh

It was this tidbit of information found in one of the appendices to Wyatt that enabled me to identify the approximate build date of my car. Analysis of that appendix showed that the factory were building about 300 Sevens a week. The 14th June 1933 was a Tuesday, so it seems that my car was built on Thursday the 16th or Friday the 17th.
Same here, David. My RP is 70 chassis numbers prior to the change-over on 14th June 1933 so given the information on daily build volumes my car must have been built either on Monday 13th June or the day of the change-over itself.

The French registration is 8633 YH 30, so I'm claiming that it was actually built the week before... (8/6/33) Smile

My car has had a full Hardy Spicer shaft ever since I've had the car.
I have never seen a shaft as pictured with the late hardy spicer on an spider shaft.

It looks like a 1970s / 80s conversion to me from the days before replacement Carden Blocks and Pins were available.

I have got a spider to enclosed prop shaft in the garage BP125:1A7203
I also have an enclosed both ends hardy spicer shaft complete with both flanges 9E 134 from an EB 65
Bruce. I recall that, in correspondence we discovered that our respective cars were built very close together and are both ‘Standard Saloons’. Mine was first registered in Fife on 4th July 1933, so it didn’t hang about! Were standard saloons built to order only, I wonder?
(21-01-2021, 08:14 PM)dickie65 Wrote: It looks like a 1970s / 80s conversion to me from the days before replacement Carden Blocks and Pins were available.

No, these are a pucker part; I used to specifically seek them out at autojumbles before Mr Cochrane's excellent replacement propshafts became available.

I even managed to shorten one and fit it to my first Chummy in the 1990's.

I never worked out what they came from, some people down here said 3/4 speed, LWB vans, some people said that they were military, some said late pre or early post-war replacement parts. I tend towards the latter but whatever, they are certainly rare.