The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlamp upgrades to LED bulbs
For those who ‘bother’ with MoTs

The upgrading of existing halogen headlamps with HID bulbs has been a MoT fail for a few years now. However upgrading with LED bulbs was OK.
From 11 January 2021 the MoT rules have been updated to make the fitment of LED bulbs (in existing halogen units) a fail.

From the revised requirements. . 

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Link to Govt website
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-1-4
But we don’t have halogen headlamps
Alan Fairless
Well some of us don't.
My special has halogen, tried led and found that they were wired the wrong way round so still halogen. I guess no point rewiring for led.

The MoT change is probably aimed at modern cars which have dazzling led head lights.
yes surely this doesn't apply as it would cross reference to the original filament bulb fitment.

Has been debated a few times on here and I'm not aware of anyone who has converted to LEDs having any legal problems.

A theoretical but non issue?
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I thought that HID could only be fitted to cars with self-levelling headlights. eg Hydro-pneumatic suspension Citroens.
Jim
(20-01-2021, 09:37 PM)duncan Wrote: For those who ‘bother’ with MoTs

The upgrading of existing halogen headlamps with HID bulbs has been a MoT fail for a few years now. However upgrading with LED bulbs was OK.
From 11 January 2021 the MoT rules have been updated to make the fitment of LED bulbs (in existing halogen units) a fail.

Link to Govt website
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-1-4

Isn't this just closing a gap  between MOT requirements and the Construction and Use Regulations which appear to have been written prior to the appearance of aftermarket LED lamps. Leaving aside all the  (lack of) "E" marking issues with aftermarket LED lamps and (il)legality, There is still this requirement for headlamps in the C & U regs.

SCHEDULE 5

PART I

(b) A motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, first used before 1st April 1986:

30 watts minimum

30W LED headlights would be pretty spectacular on a 7, but on the other hand, a pair of 30W filament headlamps would kill the battery on a 7 equipped with the magneto style dynamo PDQ.  IIRC, there is a  requirement somewhere in the C & U regs for the stop lights to be a minimum of 15W as well.
Fitted LED headlight bulbs to my 29 chummy but they didn't seem any better than the 36W tungsten filament ones. The advantage apart from lower current consumption was I could use them as daylight driving lights. A big advantage on such a tiny car.