The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fettling to Driving Ratio?
Hi

I heard someone say recently that there are some pre-war cars that are fettled for ten hours, then driven for one, and others that are fettled for one and driven for ten.  My Ruby is in the second category - but there must be Sevens in the first?  Presumably most other makes are also in the first category, as they tend to be seen out on the road less often?

Colin
Definitely category 2 for me, for all my (5) cars
My race Ulster is definitely Cat 1. The others verging on Cat3.
Alan Fairless
My Ruby was cat. 2 until I had to surrender my driving licence due to poor eyesight. It is now Cat 1 but soon as the Covid restrictions are lifted and my son can visit hopefully we will be back in cat. 2

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
So how might Cat 3 be defined? After a few hours fettling I might drive a few hundred miles - but not a few thousand?
Whilst my Ulster is a road car, it's main activity is hillclimbs and sprints so certainly in Cat 1. SWB Saloon is Cat 3 going on Cat 4, I'm afraid, being expected to 'go' at a minutes notice.

Trials Chummy is in Cat nothing as, despite being 'on the button', it hasn't turned a wheel since Autumn 2019 and, as I've finally retired from trialling, could be for sale to the right buyer!

Steve
They are usually in the 1st category only when first put on the road, it then gets better and better. For info I'm about 17years of fettling vs 0 hours on the road for my steam roller
Definitely Cat. 3 or 4 for my RP. Having spent the first several months of getting the car sorted and reliable after 25 years asleep in garage, it now goes on the button even if left for a week or two, and receives only routine maintenance every 1250 miles, with oil changes every 2500. Seems to work as the only thing I have had to deal with between services was a blown stop and tail bulb.
Hi, well our Ruby is Category 2+. S&P.  In lock down and still waiting for my jab. Angry
I  fettle only castings.