The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 bearing engine - steel crankcase
It's not a prototype.

Tony.
I agree with Tony; it has to be either marine or stationary engine - for use somewhere where alloy corrosion would be a problem and weight not a problem.
Saw one of these iron Crankcases for sale at the last Beaulieu A7 rally held no appeal, way too heavy .
hi mike,

i dont think its marine either.

marine engines usually have a higher starting handle assembly at the front.

i have three cast iron nosecones for these, two ruby length and one box. (so there were more about).

also "i know were there is a complete one" with the nosecone, block, head etc. in its original RAF blue if my memory serves me well.

so how many of these prototypes are out there?

just been watching gas monkey, and the comment was does rear make it valueable. or is it so rear nobody has a use for it and its worthless?

ill take a guess, with nobody knowing what they can use it for. and these engines usually have MINIMAL use because of that. it had a rearly nice low size block on it. and thats why its gone. along with the high comp head.

a good talking piece for someone wanting to show it, but little value in the real world.

tony
but please still do the measurements, Graham! It will be interesting to see if its exactly the same as the cast for similar standard aluminium...
That’s what I thought Tony.
Would agree tht they are probably not Military as I've seen a couple over the years and I doubt we had any Service gear here in Oz.  I just assumed they were Marine, but can't recall noticing any difference in the front bit as set out by Tony B.   Always interesting to have these "different" items show up.  Cheers,  Bill
It's not from one of those fire pump engines is it? (Particularly if some were painted RAF blue)
The Beresford Stork fire pump that was owned by the late Gerald Walker had a conventional ali crankcase
hi. all  the cast iron  is exactly the same as a standard aluminium engine .i have engine number m271979.i have just done all the measurements on both side by side . hope this helps