The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed limits and Austin 7s
Totally OT but:
One of my fellow apprentices got off his speeding ticket because the constable identified his  vehicle as a Plymouth (it was actually a Chrysler- close but no cigar).
Also Bill G, I went for a drive in a new S800 roadster years ago, couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The sensation of speed was totally out of proportion to the actual speed (go-kart effect?), the only 70s sports/performance car I've driven that was as much fun was one of the legendary E49 Chrysler Chargers (non-NZers might have to  Google this) which had much the same effect on me but used 302HP to do it.
Ah the good speed cameras which catch the real offenders, I love them but why are they yellow? In 1981 I was driving north just south of Stoke south exit on a deserted M6 in a red MGB at between 65 and 75 mph which if you now it is a bit hilly. The only other visible vehicle was a pale blue dot in my mirror which soon passed me at well in excess of 120mph after which the it's anchors went on hard to take the Stoke south exit. A white dot in my mirror soon turned into a Police car which stopped me just short of Keele services where I was accused of doing 96mph for which I was fined fined £50. That was my only speeding fine and I vowed never to be caught again. My next foray on the M6 was a month later in an RN saloon and whilst filling up at Keele services a police car drew alongside me and said something about it being a bit slow to which I replied “at least you won't be catching me speeding” The knowing glance between the driver and his colleague told me all.
Sad 
When I am out in my Swallow I am happy enough to see a 30 mph sign.  That I can do.

When I see a 40 sign I realise I am being challenged.

When a 50 sign comes into view the gauntlet is really thrown down.

Anything more than that and I give up trying.  Wink
My forays onto the UK motorway network in the RP have been few and every one quite memorable. The only one I did regularly was when I used the RP to go to work and I used the M1 south from Jn 35 to the next exit at Jn 34(N) - Tinsley viaduct. Fortunately it was downhill so I could rattle on a bit but even then there was the threat of an Artic close behind. I didn't use the motorway for the return journey.

The next was when I was bringing the car to France for the first time. After using back roads all the way to St Albans I dropped onto the M25 to get over the Darford Crossing. This time it was the start of the afternoon peak period so trundling along in lane one I was going as fast as everyone else, even on the long pull up & over the QE Bridge. I soon got off after the toll boths onto the back whacks again.

The next time was a few years ago, when Passe-Partout and I were on our way to Nice to tackle the Col de la Bonette. The plan was to take the old road from Nîmes towards Salon de Provence, but after passing Arles we were busy chatting and again I missed the turn off, and the dual carriageway we were on became the A54. Fortunately it was quiet but I realised my mistake when the toll booths appeared, complete with a team of "Douaniers" who were doing road checks. Needless to say we got pulled over. All they wanted to do was to look at the car and take selfies. We managed to get off at the next exit, and then managed to get lost again in Ax-en-Provence before we finally found the old Nationale.

The last time was on my way to Santiago. I missed the turn off into Pézenas at a roundabout and ended up on a short length of motorway, but managed to get off again at the next exit. I don't like running the car flat out for long periods, especially as I had a long way to go and the engine was only just run-in. It's not just the stress you put the car under trying to get it up to 60mph but the fear of some numpty in a big truck that fails to notice that you're actually only doing 45mph!

Roads like this are much better....

[Image: 20190925-100959.jpg]
Some years ago my brother was taking his in-laws to Birmingham Airport in his Vauxhall Omega at a very early hour. While progressing along the M42 at some speed he noted the only other vehicle on the road behind and nearly keeping up. He left the motorway at the airport exit and slowed to the limit and was shortly passed by a Police Range Rover who stopped him. When asked how fast he thought he was going he admitted he was probably doing over 70mph. At this the officer said the RR was flat out at 105 and "we weren't catching you". Then he unbelievably said that the car was undoubtedly capable of the speed and the motorway had been otherwise empty and let him go. As a friend once said "if he fell out of a window he would land on a mattress"
Bruce, I think the expression is "If he fell down the toilet, he'd come up with a mermaid". Jazzman, A7 owner and optimist Jim Shelley (also from Walsall) was often described thus.
Terry, you're right about Jim Shelley, luckiest guy I knew. (I always envied the machine shop in the conservatory!)