The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useless Information? But interesting to some!
Since the 'requirement' from the DVLA has been changed so that you only need to sorn it once, at the beginning of an unlicenced period (which is actually what the Law requires), there is actually no problem. The DVLA for many years unlawfully required the SORN annually, which is both needless and tiresomme when you have a shed full of tack with V5's.

I have found that provided you have a V5 in your name, and that you can demonstrate that you actually have the vehicle (even if it is in pieces), then there is nothing whatsoever to fear. Whilst there are many halfwits at the DVLA they cannot simply 'delete' your record. Nor can they sell any number that has previously been issued. They only sell unissued numbers.
Stuart, it might be red, but on the database it is an AF.....
(14-01-2021, 04:47 PM)David.H Wrote: Stuart, it might be red, but on the database it is an AF.....

Well, it's stamped AG 621 on the propshaft tunnel. That could of course have been a mistake by the bloke at Longbridge....
how does it sit in the chassis progression, David? Great if that's another mistake to notify and another body number to notify. Every little etc etc.
Body Numbers etc. The earliest AG body number I found was AG277 on Chassis 132737 car B3 5484 (April 1931). Interestingly(?) Chassis 132409 was body AG282, so they were not too fussed about sequencing! The last one listed was (one of mine, now sold) AG1425 on Chassis 150346 Car B6 2847.
After that cars are a bit shy or have been careless with their transmission tunnels!
However there are some body numbers and the last one recorded is Chassis 159443 Body B6 2847 (Sept 1932).
A close look at the spreadsheet also throws up some anomalies (no surprise) with AE and AF that seem well out of their obvious build time line or chassis sequence. Whether errors on data, misreading of numbers or real off beats who knows!
A message from Dave Martin...
I see there are questions on Austin Seven Friends about AG tourers.
I can answer some of these from Gaydon research if you want to pass this on.
First AG tourer was B3 2020, ch 128945, built 30th Jan 1931. They were produced until approx June 1932.
The latest body number I have is AG 1425, but there are 19 cars listed after this, so I estimate the total production as 1600.
Standard colours were Light Royal Blue, Opal Blue and Maroon.
Many thanks, all adds to our knowledge. 
David
Wasn't aware that there were records available tying chassis number to car number etc. Only the two ends of the "Car Number" tag were on my AG when I bought it. Would be nice if I could re-instate the car number. My car was registered in July 1931, but from the dated bits on it, appears to have been built in May of that year.
is it B3- Stuart? if so you can inspect at Gaydon and reveal your entire new spec and car number.

Or, alternatively, records end 136,924...
Dave Martin's comments confirm what I already thought: The AG is the tourer equivalent of the RM saloon (first RM saloon was built 15 Jan 1931, first AG 30 Jan 1931, last RM circa April 1932, last AG circa June 1932). In other words, not really a 'missing link, neither fish nor fowl', but a standard production model fitting neatly into the chronological development of the Seven. The low survival numbers merely reflect the diminishing market of the tourer as the 1930s developed.