The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby lights
Hello
Just wondering whether anyone can help with Lucas light reference.
I believe that the side lights are LD 109 
However no idea what the original headlamps were ?
Regards
            Tim
Good morning. Initially Rubies were fitted with Lucas LD108 sidelamps (push and twist rims) and Lucas LB130 headlamps with the electromechanical n/s dipping mechanism. Shortly afterwards the sidelamps were changed to LD109 although the glasses were still marked LD108.
In 1936 the introduction of the Mk2 Ruby saw the headlamps changed to Lucas L131's which had a more pointed profile. Later cars were fitted with L133's which were identical in profile but had some internal differences.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Thanks Stuart
Just what I needed, am I correct in thinking both types of headlights need an offset mounting
Hello again, saloon lamps are handed (offset) 32degrees, sports are vertically mounted.
Near side lamps are identified by a hole in the back of the bowl (shell) for a screw which supports the dipping mechanism.

Stuart
The sidelights on my February 1937 Ruby are chromed mazak rather than brass.  This is now very pitted, like the door handles.  Is it known if these are likely to be original, please?  Not seen any others about - are they common?
Hello Colin. I don't think they are an original fitment, they are not listed in Lucas parts lists. However They are quite common in autojumbles but pretty much impossible to replate.

Stuart
Thanks, Stuart - I have often wondered. 

Yes, they are past replating, but fit in well enough with the other 'chrome' items on the car.  Work fine, and contribute to the car's late-1950s-student-owner character that has been maturing nicely over the last couple of decades.

Colin