The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
postal problems
hi all.

not a happy time.

i thought after the christmas rush things would get better.

but covid is killing us?

the post office is overworked, and im loosing 1 in 20 parcels.
i have 5 parcels booked with DHL through parcels2go, that are uncollected. the parcel2go website is unable to rebook collections? so i cant even rebook. or get a refund.

i know other companies are in the same possition with parcel losses.

i dont really know what i can do about all this????

collection only????
book your own parcel collections????

i could close down totally for a couple of months and see if it gets better when we are let out again.

i have 2 years worth of backlog work to do anyway.

tony.
I know it got a bit manic before Christmas as people sent things rather than visiting in person. 

I sent a small parcel 1st class recorded last week and it arrived the next day which surprised me but I know people say that 1st class can be more like 2 weeks in London at the moment.

I always feel recorded delivery may mean it's less likely to be lost?
I have sent (via parcel-to-go) and received several packages over the Christmas period, and I can't say I've experience any problems. One parcel which I might have expected to arrive before Christmas didn't turn up until the end of December, but others which I was expecting to take days arrived overnight, so I really can't complain. Just keep the faith, Tony, I'm sure you've just experienced a one-off problem.
Our local couriers are all working exceptionally long hours and looking very tired and miserable, though I've not had any problems with incoming mail - about 6 parcels since Christmas. 

We have given up on Hermes having paid for several outgoing parcels but not had anyone collect them. I sent out some seats before Christmas  and eventually had to re-book with ParcelFarce (who were fine). As you have found with Parcels2go Tony, no way of re-booking and no mechanism for claiming a refund. £20 wasted.
We're out in the sticks and getting things collected can be a problem with the cheaper carriers. Parcelforce are about 95% reliable, but are relatively pricey, particularly for smaller packages.

I'm waiting for two large incoming deliveries by DHL, both due last week. One got as far as a notification that delivery was imminent, followed by an amendment to "next working day", which didn't happen. Tracking for both is completely uninformative.
Appreciate that it is limited on size which is an issue for some A7 bits, but I have been using the new Post office collection service for my honey sales to just avoid having to go anywhere to post packages and it has been spot on.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
It's no surprise that Royal Mail cannot maintain a full service in the face of so many staff testing positive. They have just published a list of the worst affected areas:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55591063
Like most people, I am seeing something close to a gamble with sending and receiving parcels, and indeed letters. The vast majority are still quick, in fact one parcel and one book recently turned up the very day after the order which was remarkable. Other times things take ages, and just occasionally items just disappear. A small piece of brassware sent to Shropshire has vanished, and a birthday card sent by my dear sister in October is also lost. Overall, I think we are very fortunate indeed, keep going, dear cherished suppliers, we need you, and you probably need us a little bit as well. 
Martin, did you have a batch of Chummy battery boxes made up, and if so might one be sent across the border as I would not want to risk driving anywhere near Hereford to collect one.
The christmas post was around the same as previous year, some got delivered next day. Some got lost. A parcel to the seven workshop took 3 weeks.

The problem seems to be now we are on lockdown. Everyone want there life delivered.

I had problems with parcel2go in the past, but as a business I've had that everywhere.

With parcel2go you can rebook a missed collection with the booking number. ( but this feature isn't working ) you can go onto the live chat. It let me in once made me waite 25 mins. Gave me an automated message, and wouldn't let me back in.

I have no faith in any postage at the moment, and can't afford to keep losing stock. NO company keeps open like that.

Tony.
On the bright side, I sent a package to the Orkney Islands a few weeks ago. Franked and then posted at 17:00 and on the customer's doorstep at 09:00 the next morning. Obviously flown up and, the islands being small, not too difficult to deliver. Still, an amazing service. Have you tried Royal Mail "Special Delivery"? I've found it reliable and, on the rare occasion when things go wrong, not too difficult to sort out.
"This is our guaranteed by 1pm delivery service. It allows you to send items to all UK destinations from any Post Office™ branch, for an all-inclusive price.If you send your item from a Post Office branch (or collected by our Business Collectionservice), before the latest acceptance time, we guarantee delivery by 1pm the next working day. We even offer later guaranteed delivery times to the Shetland Islands and other remote destinations, for no extra charge. Guaranteed Saturday delivery is available as an add-on to the Special Delivery™ service for the urgent items you post on Friday. Guaranteed Saturday delivery ensures that your item is delivered to the recipient by 1pm on Saturday. In the unlikely event that your item is not delivered on time, we'll refund your money. When adding on Saturday Delivery, VAT at standard rate will be added to the basic cost, then an extra fee of £3. Customers need to post items at a Post Office®.
Compensation
Your Special Delivery item has a money-back guarantee if it doesn't arrive by the guaranteed delivery time. All Special Delivery items are automatically covered with £500 compensation against loss or damage. For a small amount you can increase the level of compensation to £1,000 or £2,500 and as an added extra you can purchase consequential loss up to £10,000."