The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Trials Special
(05-01-2021, 04:31 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I like the quick release steering wheel

Not that quick to be fair. It's a fine thread.

Charles
Nice project .... 'Don't bite off more than you can chew' they say.. I hope you have some serious chewing capacity. .... My first 'AHA-erlebnis' was: Lotus 7-style but of course Lotus 6 is more like it. Fibreglass bodies do turn up in classifieds now and then but unless you're sure what body will fit your chassis..... it's a gamble. So do your homework but it seems you're someone who likes delving through archives. Anyway: Be careful to keep (and refurbish) that Cambrigde head and Dante inlet manifold.
Michael D only 2 things to keep? It’s got loads of nice parts on it!
It's the first time I've seen an A7 special with a "proper" 4 into 2 into 1 (the last bit is missing) exhaust.
OK Zetomagneto... I stand corrected....... keep everything .... the whole hog.....

(05-01-2021, 07:52 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Michael D only 2 things to keep? It’s got loads of nice parts on it!
Looking at it from the new camera angle, I reckon the thermosiphon has a chance of working.
Hi James,
I just wondered if the pre production Dellow you mentioned was on of the ones with an Austin 7 chassis, or the tube type.
It looks more a candidate for "properly" fitting aluminium to the existing skeleton over the dash and perhaps a nice nosecone, and simple alloy panelling - without compound curves - elsewhere? (a la Speedex 750) It seems businesslike enough not to need touches of cafe racer.
Thanks to all for the advice on the bodywork. I think an aluminium skin that doesn't completely hide the framework sounds appealing. As luck would have it I work for CKL Developments (down near Battle) and we have a fantastic panel beater who usually repairs D types and the like so this might make a fun alternative for him! I just need to tell him that the budget is obviously a lot less...
On the mechanical side we have just appointed a new apprentice so what better way for him to learn about old cars than to get stuck into this one?
I will keep you updated with progress. 
Best
James

Hi Lowespeed
I believe the Dellow is the last prototype built (the 5th one I think?) and has the first tubular chassis frame - although with some differences to the production cars. It has a 1939 Ford chassis number and is described in the log book as a Ford-Dellow. The car originally belonged to a chap called Merrick - reg number EDE384. Haven't really got the space for another project but it is fun doing the research on it!
Best
James
(06-01-2021, 05:50 PM)James Fraser Wrote: ... I just need to tell him that the budget is obviously a lot less...

James

I think the phrase you are looking for is 'the budget is fluid - preferably frothy!'