The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Trials Special
(04-01-2021, 09:34 PM)James Fraser Wrote: Mike - were these fibre glass bodies made by any particular aftermarket companies? Do any survive?

Here's a selection from a quick Google search:

.jpg   special 1.jpg (Size: 174.73 KB / Downloads: 622)
.jpg   special 2 heron.jpg (Size: 191.87 KB / Downloads: 622)

home-made alloy                                                                                                   Heron Plastics

.jpg   special 3 hamblin de luxe.jpg (Size: 117.25 KB / Downloads: 622)
.jpg   special 4 ashley 2.jpg (Size: 164.94 KB / Downloads: 622)

Hamblin de-luxe                                                                                                    Ashley

.jpg   special 4 ashley.jpg (Size: 234.13 KB / Downloads: 622)
.jpg   special 5 microplas.jpg (Size: 206.73 KB / Downloads: 621)

another Ashley                                                                                                      Microplas

If you want to go down this route, there are a number of unused bodies still floating around ...
Most of those bodies won't work around that radiator.

If no water pump, I'm not sure that radiator will work, anyway - I guess you need a bit more head for thermosiphon.

But I would try it and see, first.

If you have a pump, then a smaller lower radiator will work with the lower fronted bodies.

I would love to have this in my garage, I'd get it going, make a vestigal body so as not to frighten the neighbours, and drive it about for the fun of it.

Leave fitting an Ashley body until later.   To do that, I reckon you would have to start again from the chassis up.

Cheers

Simon
Thanks James - very interesting.
Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Thanks Simon - I have to say the size of the radiator has puzzled me a bit as it looks unnecessarily large for a car of this size.
Best
James
An insignificant detail, but I've just noticed it even uses the original late-1930 RL-type petrol tank.
Radiator looks like 1950s Morris Minor, could obviously be changed for something smaller.
Nice find
Assuming that you bought it with some ambition to complete and use, what do you want to do with the car?
Do you have competition ambitions?

Charles
I’m in the camp for recommissioning and adding vestigial bodywork to what seems to be a body frame made with some skill. Thanks for the pictures...
Cheers from Chris and Hilary
Hi Charles
To be honest I ended up with the car by accident so am still figuring out my plans. I'd seen it at Peter's over the years and always thought it looked fun but only ended up acquiring it as part of a package deal to obtain some spares and paperwork I needed for a different car (an OM). At the end of the process I ended up with barely a shoe box worth of parts for my OM, this special, a Dellow and a full garage!! Not to mention the questioning looks from my very patient wife... 
But to answer your question I really like cars with a competition story and so it would be nice to get it up and running in that guise (circuit or hill climb special) - without over-restoring it if at all possible. Having said that there is quite a bit of research work to be done first plus the joy of getting it road registered!
Best
James

Some more more photos - including as it was found plus some of the numbers. 
James

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   17.jpg (Size: 166.82 KB / Downloads: 413)
I like the quick release steering wheel