The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front axle eyes
Depending on the size of the eyes, oversize kingpins and bushes reamed to suit are another option.
While on the subject i have seen several axles with cracks where the H section commences. I wonder if these result from metallurgical changes from the repeated heating. Keep an eye out for; conveniently welded if building up the eyes.
There is plenty of room to reinforce the eyes, which makes it all the more puzzling why Austin did not..
Hi,

When you shrink the eyes how do you ensure they are uniformly shrunk throughout the full length of where the kingpin passes through the axle and not just at limited points especially top and bottom? Do you build them up with material beforehand to ensure that after reaming there is the same amount of axle eye as original? I got my first sports axle done by Vintage Austin services many years ago like this but was thinking that depending on how the sleeving is done, i.e. the axle eye becomes stretched too far, then you won't end up with a substantially different amount of material in the eye part of the axle.

Cheers

David