The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front axle eyes
Happy New Year folks! What is the best option for worn axle eyes please? Is it a realistic option to machine and fit a sleeve to size back to original?
I shrink and repair axle eyes - you are welcome to contact me on: dunford1@aol.com for more details.
Don’t even think about sleeving
Alan Fairless
Take Ruairidh up on his offer, Phil. Excellent work done in a timely manner and the only real way to solve your problem (other than replacing the axle with another that's better - if you can find one!). As Alan says, don't even think about sleeving. Call me if you want to discuss further.

Steve
Happy to second Steve Jones comment, Ruairidh sorted a front axle for me just before the Christmas break, excellent.
Denis S
+1 For Ruairidh 

He can also bow axles  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
I agree,
Do not sleeve axle eyes.
I had one which was on my car when I got it. The Mot man said thats a bit wobbly so I took it apart to swap the kingpins and bushes and found sleeves and split axle ends.
Unfortunately this was a genuine sports axle which had died.
I have seen a few axles which have been built up with weld around the outside which shrinks the eye and increases the strength.
Get it done by an Expert.
Austin must have been aware of the inadequacy of the eyes at an early date. It is incredible that the same was continued for the heavier cars with improved brakes. With very many miles of corrugated metal roads axle ends were esp short lived here. Just what the metal condition is after repeated heating and shrinking is questionable. Building up seems prudent although not legal here if detected!
Thank you for all your suggestions I have been in touch with Ruairidh, that sounds like the best solution
I currently have a three piece front axle made from a bowed axle which became too short when it was bowed so a section was cut out of a rusty axle and welded into the middle to bring it back to the correct length. Its invisible and in a low stress area only illegal in the UK after a certain date !!
I am sure my axle was welded before this date though.