The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Austin 7
Morning
My name is Chris Wigmore my father, Robert Wigmore owned am Austin 7 before he left England to migrate to Australia I have a photo of the car which he hand built out of aluminium I was wondering if anyone had any further information on the whereabouts of this unique vehicle. The registration is GW2520. The last I heard about it was he gave is to a friend who was in the RAF with him when he left in 1958

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No record on the DVLA website I'm afraid so it hasn't been registered or on the road for a while but at least the registration hasn't been sold on.

No record on the chassis register either.
Thanks for checking,  thought maybe because it had an unusual body it may be more distinguishable. Thanks again
Someone may know it. Worth posting on the Austin Seven Facebook group as well since there are more members than here.
I think they are the ones that put me onto this forum. I think you are right the more I circulate the photo the better the chances of finding out what has happened to this car. My dad passed away recently and he used to tell us of the fond memories he had of this car. Thanks again for your advice.
Regards Chris
Hi Chris,

Purely of academic interest, the registration GW 2520 was issued in London probably at some point during 1932 / 33 - GW 920 having been issued at the beginning of January 1932 and GW 1 back in December 1931. It's a pity you didn't have details of the chassis number as it may have survived, been re-bodied and re-registered.
Does the London area have local authority archives that hold old registration cards? I was able to get mine from Cambridgeshire and that showed the chassis number. I know a lot were destroyed though.
No, Geoff, as far as I'm aware all London registration records are described as 'Destroyed'. Of course many pre-war London records were destroyed during the blitz and those that weren't were apparently later destroyed on the formation of national central vehicle licensing at the then DVLC in Swansea from the mid 1960's onwards.

As you've discovered Cambridgeshire records still exist as does Oxfordshire who were extremely helpful to me back in the early 1970's regarding my 'DWL' Oxford registered 1936 Morris 8 Tourer by sending me the original buff and green logbooks which they still had on file. This meant I had the names and addresses of every owner including the cars very first - a female (spinster) senior physiotherapist working at the Wingfield-Morris Orthopaedic Hospital in Headington which interestingly had been built in 1933 following a donation of £70,000 (equivalent to £5 million today) from non other than William Morris himself. I believe it's now called the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre. If you're wondering, I'm the cars thirteenth owner, it having passed through the hands of a number of USAF servicemen based at RAF Brize Norton in the early 1960's - if only the car could talk !