The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EUPHORIA FOLLOWED BY CONSTERNATION
Hi Steve

Cracks from the centre stud have been mentioned in the past as being not uncommon. When my own block came back from sleeving, it had two barely visible hairline cracks in the same position. I am pretty certain it wasn't cracked before I sent it off, but have no photos. For what it's worth I pressed ahead and used it. That was 15 years and 10,000 miles ago (road use) and I have had no leaks, just used a normal copper/composite HC gasket with a light smear of grease.

However, your centre stud looks like it has been rethreaded or helicoiled, and the cracks have a visible gap, not just a hairline. There also looks to be a another crack between cylinder 3 and cylinder 4. It's your choice whether to risk carrying on or get a better block, I guess in the end it comes down to how you price your time !
Many thanks for all your helpful replies.
I have decided to obtain a replacement block, rather than take a chance with this one, given the width of the cracks, and the likelihood that it won't hold out for long, even if I manage to seal the gasket.
I have to report that the chap who sold me the car, who clearly did not know about the underlying problem, Walter Heale has been a gent and has agreed to pay for remedial works. I thank him for that.
Best regards
Steve