The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML Magneto
Could one of you bright sparks (!) advise me whether an ML Type RF4 magneto is suitable for a Seven please.
Thanks.
Pre-eminently suitable. I have one, unfortunately, it's missing some parts.

I'm still not sure I trust vintage magnetos though, being the sort of guy who wants to drive the car. Had too many bad experiences........
One of the best magnetos, as fitted to supercharged Ulsters, I believe . The RG4 is identical but has a higher centre height.

C
Many thanks both.
Chris.
Yes Chris, used one myself when fed up with the Scintilla that really needed a rebuild.  Excellent.
I noted your recent post and I am looking for the bakelite HT cap and the LT points cap. Do you have any spares of either item.
Kind Regards
Jim Runciman
Photo 
Jim,  
The distributor caps used to be made, but you are probably best off finding a good original one. 
The original points caps are very thin walled and usually are warn and/or cracked. I needed some for a couple of mags that I have, so I made a mould tool to manufacture them. I have increased the wall thickness and the depth of the key which engages with the points base. This stops you pushing the cap on in the wrong position which often resulted in the original caps splitting.

I have made the terminal knobs as well. 

The plastic I have tested to 100oC and it doesn't soften and it is also petrol resistant. An example of the re-manufactured cap is shown below. 

If you need one let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-01-2021, 10:20 PM)TomHunt Wrote: Jim,  
The distributor caps used to be made, but you are probably best off finding a good original one. 
The original points caps are very thin walled and usually are warn and/or cracked. I needed some for a couple of mags that I have, so I made a mould tool to manufacture them. I have increased the wall thickness and the depth of the key which engages with the points base. This stops you pushing the cap on in the wrong position which often resulted in the original caps splitting.

I have made the terminal knobs as well. 

The plastic I have tested to 100oC and it doesn't soften and it is also petrol resistant. An example of the re-manufactured cap is shown below. 

If you need one let me know.

Very nice work Tom
Mine is cracked but so far my trusty friend araldite is working his magic

c
Thanks Charles, 
There is a stock here if you ever have a need. 

Tom
(07-01-2021, 11:11 PM)TomHunt Wrote: Thanks Charles, 
There is a stock here if you ever have a need. 

Tom

Go on. Do tell me how much

C