The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T & T cylinder head
In case it helps - here are my two T&T heads - one of which is actually stamped Ricardo.  I assume that the stamps give the date (ie 1928 and 1929) so the photo of Henry's one earlier in this thread makes it right that his with step is of the new patent, and mine are before that date (the patent above being April 1929).  Each of mine has the latter type water branch take-off, and the priming holes are still there. Someone has gone to great lengths to repair the cracks in one of the two so they were highly valued at one time.  No step in the combustion chamber on either of them.

Not in my capacity as Archivist but purely as the son of a pal now works for Ricardo (his boss is head of Engineering) I have a bit of an 'in' that might prove useful. If anyone has any *specific* questions they would like answering - and I mean **specific** I'll see what I can do (without any guarantees, of course) Questions along the lines of 'What do you have in your Archive that relates to the Austin 7' sadly will have to be overlooked...

Post them here and I'll see what can be done..

hth....

Hugh
I can also being Harry's nephew, my Grandfather Ralph did a lot of the inventing but Harry got the credit as he had the letters after his name, it was my Grandfather who paid the £1000 to buy the ground where Bridge Works is now established, it was originally bought to establish The 2 Stroke Engine Company and The Dolphin Car.
The early head appears made to fit the originnl gasket
As I have mentioned before Ricardo's autobiography Men and Machines is an excellent read.Also published by the SAE under another name. The various editions of his book The Internal Combustion Engine similarly interesting, Early editions cover basic engine design and the later largely an account of his involvement with that Brit specialty, the single sleeve valve aero engine. Sadly many libraries are now run by youngsters with a BA and a commerce degree so such books get thrown out despite timeless significance.
(05-01-2021, 06:06 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Sadly many libraries are now run by youngsters with  a BA and a commerce degree so such books get thrown out despite timeless significance.

Careful. Harry Ricardo was the recipient of a BA

C
But he had a lathe to play with when quite young. The worth of books now seems to be assessed by demand, so however worthwhile if it is not fashionable for the common horde it gets turfed out. With scouts, I used to assist at a charity book sale. One public library closed and they simply donated the lot. I got near new Machinery's Handbook and several giant Atlas and illustrated history reference books or $1 (50p) each!
A major function of libraies was to acquiant the mildly curious with the less obvious.
In WW1 Ricardo designed a tank engine with crosshead pistons like a steam engine. Conventional trunk pistons then burned so much oil, gatherings of tanks and concealed tanks were revealed by the cloud of blue smoke!
I guess oil burning contributed to pinging so increasing the worth of his squish head.
Damian -the brass plaque on one of your heads fascinates me. Could you possibly post a close up?
Hi John,

Good spot - hadn't really stopped to look at it but it's interesting - and it has the old patent number on it too..

Anyone got any ideas about HR Pope and the series of 11? 

Damian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I seem to remember an HR Pope who was a race driver pre WW1
Alan Fairless
Thanks Damian - that wasn't what I expected at all, but very interesting all the same! I'm afraid I don't have any clue about Mr Pope. I look forward to the significant knowledge of the Forum being applied to this one...