The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My Ruby has been shot!
Yes, the 'bullet hole' was discussed on the Forum back in 2010 after I bought a late Ruby - CNM 380 - that came with a bullet hole story in the history.  The first owner of 30 years, Major Harley, had been out in Vienna in 1945 and was 'mentioned in despatches' after a particular incident.  This seemed to be the origin of the claim - the car had been shot at - and there was still a bullet hole.  However, the only hole was the usual one in the cowl.  Talking to his grandson, it turned out he had been a great raconteur, who had many other stories - including one of their going to a party dressed as Romans and breaking down, with the locals then being treated to a group in togas pushing the Austin up a hill.

I don't have a spare cowl here anymore, otherwise I would hang it from the hole to see how it sits compared with hanging from the bracket - does it hang better for spraying?
Here is a picture of a badgeless cowl on a 1938 car - the bullet hole can be clearly seen...

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby bullet hole.jpg (Size: 209.36 KB / Downloads: 138)
That is very interesting. The hole in my cowl is in the same place, it has jagged edges on the inside and has clearly been punched put rather than drilled. If punched out how did they avoid bruising the area around the hole. Why make an additional hole to hang it for painting. And why two holes above the windscreen? All very odd.