The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
exterior wood treatment
After mulling over yacht varnish, drying oil, non-drying oil or wax, I plumped on old engine oil largely through practicality, as it polishes down into the metalwork too AND gives a bit of tint in the grain. It should keep the worms at bay, and will stop that awful Travelleritis where the wood blackens near the joints under hard varnish when the joins move.
Downside was that the change in shade on the new Priors ash wood (which I quite liked just preserved, sanded and bare) meant the initial shade of green for the wheels no longer worked. So changed shade to something a tad darker.
Also tried seats mark 2 - removing the slatted backs and using Ratchford's buckram over the hi density foam panels [...which run round the edge of trampolines..], Material is thin but quite tough and waterproof - good for interior panels as practically identical to some of the material on Nippy door lining.        
Careful with this wood idea....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Morris Travellers had the bonus of mushroom growth in the rear sliding window tracks. If only they had been Porcini...
Hi there

How many coats did it need ?

Was it brushed on or a rag used ?

all the best Paul
I used a bit of both methods.. and conscious that it only soaks in a little at a time, so rag to take off where it remained on surface. No idea whether is it going to react with wood glue in joints. Will have to keep treating when I have spare oil, as I guess it will be far less resistant that drying oil. In fact, I wonder whether it will become a drying oil when there is more sunshine/heat.
A few years ago I decided to give my garage doors a coat of creosote.  I duly finished the first pair of doors and then realised that the container of creosote contained not creosote but old Austin 7 engine oil, destined for the next garden bonfire.  After a few months the garage doors had been exposed to plenty of sunshine and the old oil had soaked in completely.  I have not had any problems with rot or timber infestation!
Before you ask whether I put creosote in the Austin 7, the answer is no.  My father once topped up my mother's Renault 4 with engine oil, then realised it was linseed oil he used for French polishing.  Like most incidents of this type, my Mother didn't find out, but my father often wondered whether the cylinder bores would have a superb polished finish.
My Mother isn't mechanically minded, she referred to the steering wheel as the 'handle bars', the sunroof was the 'lid', and she would say that she had put some parafin in it when it needed refueling.  I can't remember what she called the dashboard gear change but the handbrake, an umbrella like handle under the dashboard was known as 'Arkwright's Till' as if you touched it it would fly off with a violent bang similar to the shop till in 'Open All Hours'.