The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Santa, please may I have a new engine...
Charles, I'd be wary of wading in deep water with less than a Grasshopper.
Updraft carbs have a rather low intake, not much above hub centre, but not as bad as Kevin Martin's wife's new Renault Clio that we borrowed for a lunchtime trip to the Wheatsheaf at Marsh Green, Edenbridge a few years ago.
The winter flood was only ankle deep.
So was the air intake.
The engine hydrolocked. 
Two bent con rods and as far as I remember not repaired on warranty.
Sidedraught Solex so the intake is a reasonable height, but the Cozette is lowish!
I wouldn't do it if it was more than 3 or 4 inches deep. I've already bent one set of Phoenix rods and have no ambition to do it again.

C
Tarr Steps

Water over the floorboards

The engine kept going, but on the other side, the oil looked like milk.

Water coming in through the nosepiece.

Once across Tarr Steps, you are many more miles from home, if you don't dare drive back through.

Fortunately, a very kind man went and fetched us some new oil.
Many years ago I had a Lancia Beta (Company Car). I remember getting to a Ford and thought it wise to wait for the car coming the other way to cross before attempting it myself. When the oncoming Cortina reached me the cheerful driver wound down the window and said:
"What are you worried about?.... the worst that could happen is your engine fall out"

Funny but probably true!
With a Lancia Beta the engine would probably fall out anyway, without going through a ford. At least the water would drain away quickly through all the rust holes.
I recall many years ago  coming home from work during a very wet week .  the roads were already flooded but passable. It continued to rain heavily so as a precaution I made a snorkel for the exhaust on my Cortina II  The journey to work the net day meant going  through a flood. I fitted the pipe extension and drove carefully through. The two drivers coming the other way didn't take any notice of my warnings and drove on in .  As I removed the snorkel on the other side they were wading out of water 18" deep. No I didn't chuckle..... well perhaps a bit .     HAVE A GOOD CHRISTMAS  ALL  and an Austin useable 2021.