The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll meet again!
I'm afraid a lot has changed since we joined the Common Market, and the European Union is not planning to go back to the 1970's just because we've opted out.

One simple example is the low emissions zones which are rapidly expanding across Germany and which may ultimately block road access to nations beyond. We currently enjoy exemption in most or all of these zones for cars which are registered as 'historic vehicles' IN ANOTHER EU MEMBER STATE. I'm hopeful that we may continue to enjoy similar concessions post-Brexit but I'm pretty sure it's not high on the present negotiations agenda.
Certainly as far as France is concerned there are no restrictions for Classic vehicles in any of the sensitive emissions zones, providing the vehicle is for private use and registered as a "vehicule de collection". This appears to be generally the case in Germany too so I guess it's a Europe wide exemption. I can no longer visit the family in Stuttgart if I use my old E Class Merc as it is only Euro3 and is effectively banned from the Greater Stuttgart area. Thankfully I have other cars that are OK. "Oldtimers" are of course, exempted.

Not being familiar any more with UK paperwork, I would assume that a tax exempt UK classic would have 'Historic' or a similar mention on the V5. The post-Brexit situation is not clear but I would think that providing the vehicles documentation is clearly marked as such there shouldn't be any problems, classic or otherwise.

In France the restrictions only apply to central areas of Paris, Grenoble, Lyon and Strasbourg, and then only on days when the pollution is at a peak. Through traffic is unaffected. There is no need for a 'Crit'Air' sticker unless you have to penetrate right into the controlled zone. Classic vehicles do not need a 'Crit'Air sticker as they are exempt.
Exactly Bruce. There are exemptions in place already and with Howard and Chris’s concerns in mind, there are no problems which cannot be overcome with a little application, I for one am not going to let a little thing like bureaucracy stop me pottering around the Continent before I croak!
As an aside, I was stopped twice by the Police in Spain during my run to Santiago. Both times they just wanted to look at the car and take selfies!