The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angle grinders
I must have had my Bosch 4 1/2" angle grinder for 40 years and it has never let me down. I simply couldn't do without it.
I'm a Makita man, relatively lightweight and last forever.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
In defence of B & Q I bought one from them (There own brand) about 5 years ago and it is still going strong. It is not used every day but always there and reliable when needed. Since then I have also bought on of there jig saws and again quite serviceable. Both are for mains use and not cordless.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
When I was back in Blighty I used to buy stuff from Northern Power Tools, in Carcroft (Doncaster) They made stuff for B&Q before the Far East got in on the act. I have no idea of whether they're still in business. As an example, I bought a 9" angle grinder for them, as well as a 4 1/2." The big one, to quote the salesman, was either £18 or £20. Asking what the difference was, he said it's £2 extra if you want it in a box, otherwise it's a plastic bag. Being careful with beer tokens I opted for the £18 one. It's still going strong, over 20 years down the road (probably nearer to 30) and I haven't even used the spare brushes that came with it yet. Sadly the £6 little grinder died yonks ago.

For DIY stuff, I tend not to go for the more expensive brands, such as Bosch, Makita, etc although they are very good. I just can't justify the outlay given the amount of use they get. Without a doubt though, for regular, professional use the Bosch blue range tools are the dogs nuts.

I bought a Chinese made belt sander a few weeks ago, branded as "Tacklife". It's doing everything it says on the box and it was 1/3 of the price of a Green Bosch one, and it came with a pack of replacement belts and clamps to fix it on the bench. 3 year warranty too, so it says. Whatever. I only want it to sand down the shutters on the house prior to painting, and that gets done once in a blue moon.
I have kit the same as most folk, the Makita grinderette in frequent use, the very big Bosch angle grinder emerges from the stores once or twice a year. What I have on the shelf, for unexplained reasons, is a number of new cutting discs for a small 3" grinder. If they are of use to anyone, send PM or send your adress via the forum, I'll put them in the post today, might reach you before Easter.
Hi All

Thanks for all the very useful replies.  Seems Bosch and Makita top the list although they are more expensive.

I have a makita cordless drill and jig saw set that gets lots of use.  Unfortunately the batteries are the old type and don’t fit newer Makita grinders.

I have a trusty Black and Decker grinder that must be forty years old if it’s a day! so I’m not without grinding ability in the short term.

May be I’ll see if anything comes up in the sales (not that we are allowed out to shop  Sad)

Thanks again

Cheers

Howard
Like JohnD above I have first hand (or perhaps I should say first knee) experience of the ease with which angle grinders slice through flesh. Handle them with care!
makita are the best for the price, used everyday at the boilermaker i did some work at. and most importantly they sell spare bearings and brushes. about £50 so bot cheap
This guys picks them up at scrap yards and fixes (most of), them...

This thread has prompted me to do a shelf clear-out. I found the Northern Power Tools mini-me grinder at the back of a load of stuff and had a look at it. I had to fiddle about with the removable brushes a bit and rewire the mains connection - I had removed the UK 13amp plus and replaced it with a French one, but not very well, apparently. Plugged it in and it still works! Not bad for £6. I also re-found my ancient Black & Decker V750 power drill, which still gives sterling service after what must be about nearly 50 years.