The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angle grinders
Hi All

I burnt out my Aldi angle grinder this afternoon!  Don’t ask how... please! I’ve had it for 5 years or more so probably had my money’s worth. So I’m in the market for a new grinder.  Any recommendations and particularly has anyone experience with cordless ones?

Cheers

Howard
I recently bought an EINHELL mains 4 1/2" angle grinder. German made, brushless motor. It does what it's supposed to.

I'm quite taken by the quality of their products and have since bought one of their cordless hammer drills, a polishing buffer, and a hedge trimmer.
Makita - I bought my corded one in 1976 (I bought 200 discs and they gave me the grinder !!). Its done sterling work, restoring cars, houses, wrought iron work etc - still going strong. I have had 2 Makita cordless drills - both excellent and still working.
I've had my Black and Decker grinder for about forty years, done a heck of a lot with it, and it's great. Bought a Parkside from Lidl... it's big, it's noisy, and just not as good. BUT it has variable speed control and I find that's essential for some sanding jobs and all buffing.
I had a cheep B&Q grinder i purchased in an emergency one Saturday afternoon. it gave 6 months service, the switch was dreadful and the thing ended up in imbedded in my shin when it wouldnt shut off, so that went to the bin following my trip to A&E. 

I have since purchased a Bosch Professional grinder, and it is so much better, and has lasted 3 years of weekly abuse! 

I have also had for the last 12 months a Dewaly  battery grinder, which has proven very useful for the odd outdoor job where you dont need an extension lead. It does however like to flatten battery's when used constantly, but still a handy tool to carry when out and about !!
I have a Black and Decker corded angle grinder. It’s now about 12 years old. I have had to replace the switch and, a couple of weeks ago, the motor brushes, but otherwise it has been a good reliable power tool.
I have quite a few 4 1/2" / 115mm angle grinders as it saves a lot of time not having to change disc types: e.g. cutting to grinding to sanding etc.  The grinders I have are all sorts of makes/models as they get replaced when the magic smoke escapes. But the ones that I am best pleased with recently for the money are these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eag90...240v/763fv
The soft start is a nice feature, especially when you're working in a tight space where the 'kick' when starting up could lead to  unintentionally attacking some nearby expensive part with the disc.
We buy Makita tools whenever funds permit. We work them very hard indeed, but they go on forever - we have a large drill and a jigsaw both bought in 1989 and still going strong.

Having said that, we tend to regard small angle grinders as semi-disposable. They're so cheap that it really doesn't much matter if they only last a couple of years, so about £25-£30 is all that we ever spend.
When my 35 year old 4 1/2" Bosch suffered a seized bearing I went and bought another similar corded one. Since then I've replaced the bearings in the original so I have the luxury of two grinders. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Bosch for me too, top notch.