The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod bearing shell for a French cousin
Dear All,

I'm Alexandre, I from France, I restore my second Rosengart (Austin Seven Licence) and my english is still so poor.

After an Rosengart LR2 (the excatly same car than Austin Seven 1929) I restore the last model of the Rosengart : Rosengart Ariette Cabriolet.

Chassis and bodypart is totally different, but the engine is still the same with some updates.

Especially, Rosengart adapted a Rod bearing shell on the con-rod (no white metal), and of course, nobody have these parts in stock.

I have to find a manufacturer who make it on order. And I believe can be find my dream in England. English people know make this type of small specific and small qty.

This car is interested because there aren't any French cabriolet car after the 2 war with back seats for child. And now I find my wife with my 2 seats Rosengart, I have to restore this car to walk the "fruit of this love" !

More photo here
https://www.billaud.org/Documents/Roseng...te/Moteur/
https://www.billaud.org/Documents/Rosengart/Ariette/

[Image: 20201210_141057.jpg]
[Image: 20201211_122235.jpg]
Salut Alexandre!
And I guess Derek will be interested!
Welcome Alexandre.

Can you see any reference numbers on the bearing shells? I suggest this must be your starting point.

Austin Seven 3-Bearing engines can use Reliant Regal shells, and some of our suppliers hold stock; but before ordering I think you need to check the Rosengart shells are the same size... In case of bearing shells 'almost right' may not be good enough!

In case you don't find any helpful numbers, the big end shells we use are designed for housing diameter 1.4175" - 1.4180".
The overall width of the shell is about 21.6mm (I'm not sure what imperial size that is...)

It may be optimistic to think you can use the same shells; but worth a look. Otherwise, I suggest to talk with a company like Formhalls http://www.formhalls.com/ They will be able to help, but no doubt at some cost...

Your photos are interesting. I am ready to be corrected, but I think the Austin Seven never applied shell bearings on a 2-main bearing engine. And yours appears to have pressure oil feed through the crankshaft, n'est-ce pas?

p.s. I forgot to mention that if anyone does stock replacement shells or equivalents in the UK it will most likely be F.W. Thornton
https://www.fwthornton.co.uk/ You will still need a reference number though.
Bonjour Alexandre
I have a friend in Pas-De-Calais who has a similar car. We discovered that the cylinder head gasket (joint de culasse ?) is the same as for the late Austin Seven, so I supplied him with one. I do not know where you are but it may be useful for you to get in touch with him. If you send me a private message with your email address I can send this to Daniel, and I am sure he would be happy to discuss details with you. If you are unable to source suitable bearing shells it might be that your connecting rods could be white metalled. I am not an expert about this, but perhaps another member here can make a useful comment on it.
Hi,
The rods do have shell bearings, they are quite visible if the picture is enlarged, the engine has similarities with the reliant side valve engine. The oil feed pipes on the crankshaft are interesting, the austin sports crankshaft has cast brass transfer ports which bolt on.
Early Renault 4 shell bearings could be an option if its an 1.5" crankshaft.
Dear Chris KC,

Thanks you very much for your quick response.
I'm trying to answer of all of your returns.

The actual bearing shells rod haven't any reference.

I'll check if the reliant dimensions are the same.
But yes, all Rosengart crank are with only 2 main bearing.

By default the crankpin are 39,95mm (1,9685 inch) but my is +50mm so I'm searching bearing shell with :
internal diameter : 37,5mm (1,476378 inch)
External diameter (rod) : 41mm (1,61417 inch)
Overall width : 25mm (0,984252 inch)

I'll contact your contact tomorrow by email.

Thanks a lot.

With my family, we are really enthousiast to plan a England road trip next summer with my Rosengart Ariette. And to must to ask visa to visit your country will never be a fence to our wish.

Happy christmas,

Dear Robert,

It's the same car. I bought the Daniel car last year and after some road, I decided to restore it.

Dear Dickie65,

Renault 4 are little bit smaller. 22mm and I'm researching 25mm .

I discover the oil feed pipes when I took apart the engine. It's probably a home-made customization but I'll to keep it.
Alexandre,

If I have understood those dimensions correctly there are 2 or 3 possible (maybe!!) candidates I can suggest - I will p.m. you.

n.b. I think you have made a small conversion error 39.95mm = 1.572"