The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern lip seals
Hi,

When installing the inner seal of the size that doesn't go into the metal cup does it matter which way round it goes? I ask as its a pretty tight fit in the axle case and so to drive it in on the non flat side would prob result in damage but to drive it the other way around there is a lot of land to use. This would though end up being the opposite way round to how they are arranged in Terrys photo....?

Cheers

David
Hi David

It’s designed to go in with the lip facing the oil source.  Put the other way round and it doesn’t seal at all.

Lip seals are sometimes difficult to install and you really need a tubular drift and some copper slip around the edge.

Cheers

Howard
(30-01-2019, 03:42 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: The half shaft bearing dia on the later axles,post '28 are .890 which is an awkward size.Not fractional imperial or close to a metric size..

They're 57/64" = 0.8906 I believe. The earlier shafts were 0.875 (7/8"). I don't know why they made the change.
The metric seals are a much better fit in the cups and on the shafts than the imperial seals, for advice on fitting go to BA7C technical site axle oil leaks.I don't post anything that has not been tried and tested under race conditions. Terry.