The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different crankcase
Does anyone have pictures of the crankcase for the Magneto engine and crankcase for the later coil ignition engine side by side to compare?

I can't see how the magneto is mounted on the pictures I see online.

is there a substantial difference between the cases?
Ah Shane, as a man who spent nearly a quarter of a century with coil engines, but has been wrestling with the jolly challenges of his first magneto for the last few months, I can assure you that there are a great many differences! There may well be many pictures put up this morning as forum folk read about Sevens over breakfast rather than any other dreadful things, but if the rain eases up enough for me to reach my workshop I will try to get a snap or two.
There's some pictures of a mag engine complete and in bits on my thread "Restoring a Top Hat" that you might find useful.
Hi Shane

Like Steve I’m a coil engine man and haven’t had the fortune to venture into Magnetoland.

However you really need to purchase a copy of Woodrow’s Austin Seven Manual.

There are detailed diagrams and dismantling (and assembly) instructions for both engines clearly showing the differences.

Cheers

Howard
I am so pleased that there are others like me who are well versed in dealing with coil engines but find themselves in a state of some ignorance when faced with the magneto version!

I think I might start a new thread 'Magneto Mysteries' in which we can discuss the dark arts involved in dealing with these rather wonderful devices - and what engine design differences accommodate them.
I think most light aircraft have a magneto, indeed two which the pilot has to ascertain that both are capable of working before takeoff. Going from the experience of my father's 1926 Armstrong Siddley a big problem was sustaining the magnetism in the iron magnet. He would regulary remove it from the car and wind some wire around and give it a few zaps with a 12v battery. Modern day magnets have umpteen times more strength and don' loose it.

As everyone seems to be busy in their workshop, or perhaps decking the halls with holly, I did a couple of quick lunchtime snaps of crankcases. Quick snaps in the workshop, not carefully set up and well lit images in the studio.
Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. Have a great Christmas
Best Wishes Shane
Sorry to come late to the party. I am often surprised that people do not look at the parts lists on the archive. It is a very useful resource, from which you can make prints, it shows most of the differences and you often get a good idea of how the bit fit together. There are a few parts list pages which slipped through the net and show a new part no but not the cahnge which gave rise to it. It's fine for the sort of differences you are talking about.