The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on two brake queries please
Hello A7novice

The "vee" design of the front brake cable run makes them sit at an angle of about 30 degrees to the brake levers with the wheels straight ahead. As the steering is moved, this angle increases by up to about another 20 degrees for the wheel on the outside of the turn.

Later semi-girling levers are handed, and the balls are slightly angled to accomodate the 30 degrees. Unfortunately, the earlier levers (BL57) are the same each side, which places a higher demand for angular movement where cable end meets ball. One assumes the original cable end fittings allowed this.

I suggest (as others have) that a bit of relief may be needed for modern replacement ends. But before you get too carried away, bear in mind that full lock is only used for low speed manouevres. During "normal" driving I doubt if even half of full lock is called for.

As far as the vertical angle of the levers is concerned, I would expect them to point forwards a bit when off, and when fully "on" to be within about 5 degrees of vertical