The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage rev counters...
Thank you all for your very interesting and helpful replies - much appreciated!

Ruairidh
(12-12-2020, 12:14 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Ruairidh

Depends how authentic and accurate you want to be.  I use a cheap Chinese import which seems to run well.  From memory it was £25. I made up the black bezel and glued it to the chrome rim.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard,

don’t suppose you have a link to one of these please? Thanks 

Alan
Hi Alan

Further memory jogging and it’s Indian not Chinese.  I no longer have it on my eBay purchase list as it’s over a year since I bought it but this one is close.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Counter-Clock...890.l49292

If you enter Smiths replica tachometer in the eBay search quite a few come up.

As I mentioned to Jon in the thread. It says 2.1 but mine turned out to be 4.1 so I had to prise open the bezel scan the dial and change the numbers in my photo app.  Also I made up the black surround to make it look more vintage.

Cheers

Howard
Thank you, much appreciated. I have all the dials that came with my ruby chassis so this was one I was pondering how to do
(12-12-2020, 05:55 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Mechanical drive off the bottom of the distributor.  
Ludicrous - there are some on ebay presently for 13.95 posted!! How in practice does one do the mechanical drive connection please? I see I have one dynamo which has a hole under the distributor, so I suppose that might be something to do with something that has been done in the past?
    Hi Jon

A hole directly under the distributor drive would indicate the possible take off point for a tachometer drive. 

I turned up a thick tube that just slide down the distributor drive shaft in the housing and was a sliding fit to a long drill I have.  That ensures the hole is directly in line with drive shaft.

The cable I used has a fine M12 thread connector both ends and fits the tachometer at one end. So I drilled a short length of studding to take a brass rod with a tongue at one end to fit a slot cut in the base of the distributor drive shaft.  The other end was drilled and filed to form a square hole to take the drive cable. I silver soldered a thin washer on the end of the studding to form a collar.

Hope these pictures help

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It 's sixty years since I did a mechanical tacho drive using bits from Super Accessories {I think,possibly Cambridge}} It involved cutting a slot in the base of the distributor spindle to mate with a spade cable end and the aforesaid hole in the distributor body;it worked.
Available now on Ebay from a well know supplier
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/austin-7-seve...SwCQ1frr0S

c
And here's the bit to go on the other end:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Seven-...100623.m-1

Steve
It doesn't actually say it's calibrated for a 2:1 or 4:1 drive.
I believe he's sold several 100 mph faced speedos .