The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grabbing Brake.
David, I have had the same problem on a Series 2 Land Rover which has single leading shoe brakes. Ok going forwards but in reverse they grab like crazy. I have removed all drums twice and put ever bigger chamfers on the leading edge (when reversing)of the trailing shoes. Been driving the thing up and down the drive many times until it is slowly getting better. Every component is twice the size and twice the weight of my A7. No more Land Rovers for me! Cheers, Dave.
Dave, don’t give up on your Landy! I have had a Series3 for the last 26 years. Yes they are a bit strange, but, like Sevens, they have their charms. The trouble with the brakes stems from the fact that the trailing shoes are hydrostatic. Mine bind in reverse at times when first applied, but I am used to this now. Just engage low range! However much I curse mine for it’s ‘funnyosities’, when it comes to heavy fetching and carrying (especially when the snow is yea feet thick) there is nothing to beat it. And being a diesel, it starts first time every time however long it is left or whatever the weather.  My only real gripe is it’s a bit greedy withe diesel. 25mpg if you are lucky. 18 towing.
David, I can understand their charms.(Like a very large A7) The Landy belongs to my daughter and son in law who are completely non car mechanics so it looks as though Pa will be maintenance man from now on. Just spent the last two and a half years with full body off /new half chassis rebuild in a very draughty car port.
(23-12-2020, 08:35 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: David, I can understand their charms.(Like a very large A7) The Landy belongs to my daughter and son in law who are completely non car mechanics so it looks as though Pa will be maintenance man from now on. Just spent the last two and a half years with full body off /new half chassis rebuild in a very draughty car port.

Been there and done that with a new galvanised chassis about 15 years ago. You have my deepest sympathy!
David (Wortley), a pal of mine who used to live just down the road from you (Oldfield Rd, near the Sportsman) emigrated to Australia over 40 years ago. He's always been a bit of Crocodile Dundee type and loves to go hunting in the bush and stuff. he told me of a phrase that's popular in the Antipodes:

"If you want to go deep into the bush, then buy a Land Rover.

"But if you want to get back out again, buy a Toyota."

I remember when I worked at West Bar in the 1980s the transport department had a series III, 2 1/4L diesel pick up for general use. If you set off from the hole in the road towards Bramall Lane, you could just about get it to 40mph as you passed under Furnival Square. That's even slower than an A7!
Bruce, what you say is true, but Landrovers are rather better than towing! Many years ago (just after I had bought mine) a friend of mine, who was an avid classic car collector, rang me one dark and dismal night to ask if I would rescue him. He had burned the clutch out on his almost new Toyota Lancruiser towing a derelict Maltby bodied Buick Century back from Surrey. The Landrover towed the whole rig, Landcruiser and trailer from just outside Knockin to his home at Llanrhaedr ym Mochnant, about 25 miles distant in hilly country without any drama. It was, I grant you, a fairly sedate journey, however.
My experience with Toyotas is not good, with total brake failure on an almost new car and doing 50 mph approaching a water buffalo laid across the road, the gearbox and handbrake saved the day. Next a Landcruiser on a mountain road with a sheer drop on one side and the mountain on the other when the steering worm failed, we went into the side of the mountain. I fear another Toyota could be my last car.