The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grabbing Brake.
In the sixties, a lot of things did! Nobody paid much attention to such things those days.
With a square end the shoe less inclined to surf on dust. The further back the effective leading edge the less the self servo effect. If no apparent cause very slight relief can be extended back maybe 1/2" in ifor initial bed in.
Thank you, gentlemen for your contributions and advice on this one, and I am sorry that I have not reported back before now. Unfortunately, a week ago last Monday, I took a tumble in the forest adjacent to my bungalow whilst taking the motoring dog on his morning walk and fell over backwards, cracking a rib a rib on an inconveniently placed tree root.

Those of you who have had the misfortune to injure their ribs will know that this is the most miserable of  injuries and it has only been today that I have felt well enough to go into the garage and tackle the comparatively simple task of  stripping the front brakes, relieving the leading edge of the linings as recommended and refitting.

Having been to Llanuwchllyn, at the other end of the lake to collect a bag of course mix for the horses as a road test, I can report that the brakes now no longer grab on first application and that the braking performance is ( by Austin Seven standards) excellent.

So, once again, many thanks for your combined wisdom and Happy Christmas to one and all, or as we say in this neck of the woods:-

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi i gyd!
Good news on the brake front, you have my sympathies with your ribs - breathing was painful the last time that happened to me (I out-braked a Transit van who promptly ran into the back of my RN saloon)!

Hope you make a full recovery.
Thank you Ruairidh. I am getting there by degrees and with the assistance of painkillers and more whiskey than is perhaps good for me. I had intended to leave the brakes until my great grandson Leon came up on Boxing Day, but, given the new Covid lockdown restrictions that is not going to happen. Transferring the horse mix from the Seven to the Polo has now put the tin lid on things for today, so I am off for a hot bath to relieve the discomfort. Now where did I put that whiskey bottle.....?
Rolled under the bed?
(23-12-2020, 05:51 PM)Renaud Wrote: Rolled under the bed?

Is that the whiskey or me? Big Grin
Hi David

Best wishes for speedy recovery....

Go easy on the whiskey  Smile.  

Cheers

Howard
(23-12-2020, 06:08 PM)David Stepney Wrote:
(23-12-2020, 05:51 PM)Renaud Wrote: Rolled under the bed?

Is that the whiskey or me? Big Grin
You know David, when I sent it I realised! I was really speaking about the bottle!
All my vœux de bon rétablissement David.
Howard. Thank you for your kind wishes.
Renaud. I was taking the ‘mickey’ in true British fashion. And merci millfois pour vos bonnes pensees.