The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch toggle retention
When removing a clutch the advice is to lash the toggles with wire which I find a particularly tricky job. I have come up with an idea that I have not seen before (it was probably thought of ages ago) but was original to me and works very well. The easiest way to explain it is by illustration. The longest part of the job was obtaining the actual dimensions of the components as it was a bit of a cut and shut affair. Should anybody want to make one the dimensions are shown.

.jpg   toggleclamp2_IMG_0405.jpg (Size: 88.95 KB / Downloads: 265)
.jpg   toggleclamp3_IMG_0407.jpg (Size: 65.47 KB / Downloads: 266)
.jpg   toggleclamp1_IMG_0356.jpg (Size: 105.88 KB / Downloads: 267)
.jpg   toggleclamp0_IMG_0355.jpg (Size: 125.23 KB / Downloads: 268)

I'm sure there are better ways but I post this for interests's sake.  No  doubt someone out there will have done this trick already and probably in a better way.
Try this modification it helps assembly as well.  Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I like that Andy.

Derek Sheldron had a neat idea too, using a clutch centring tool held in place with a jubilee clip on the centre plate spline.
I find the old trick of tying the toggles together is a good way but not with wire. I use nylon garden string doubled and wound round each toggle. Being string it is much more flexible than wire and can easily be pulled tight. Any small amount of slack is soon taken up as you unbolt everything. When re assembled just the string.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Frankly I've found that having an engine stand that swivels and allows the flywheel to be presented horizontally makes the whole job much easier, especially if you have a car where engine and gearbox can be fitted as one.
Otherwise lockwire and pliers are my tools of choice

C