The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Scuttle Mounted Fuel Tank "A Baffling Problem"
A long time ago, I had the same problem with my Cambridge tank.

I cut a three sided fist sized hole in the back of the tank, allowing me to position the baffle in front of 1/8th holes drilled in the tank, 2 each front and rear.

With the baffle in place, drilled through the holes to make corresponding holes in the flange in the baffle.   Countersunk self tappers through, to hold the baffle in place.

Solder over the heads of the screws, bend the hole flap back roughly into place, solder a tinplate patch over the area.

Though crude, it has stayed in place for 40 years.

Provided some amusement, too.

When we did our first JoGLE run in '82, my Managing Director "sponsored" us to the tune of a tank of fuel from the company pump.

When it reached the half way mark, it started running out through my badly soldered patch, all over his highly polished shoes.

He bravely carried on, and we sped off to catch the fuel in a washing up bowl.

Being impecunious, we had never had enough fuel in the tank - I think they hold 10 gallons - to get near the patch to discover that it wasn't as good as it should be!

Messages In This Thread
RE: RN Scuttle Mounted Fuel Tank "A Baffling Problem" - by "Slack Alice" Simon - 29-11-2020, 09:47 PM