The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.5/16 Sports Rods
In early editions of his textbook Ricardo did not approve of rods relievd outside the bolts. But of little consequence on tiny relatively rigid Seven rods.
Hi Greig,

Interesting, a great friend of my dad had a blown ulster pre war in the cape, engine was out for rebuild and when he returned found his mother had sent the Cozette for scrap as part of the war effort! No idea where that car ended up not the one my father was sent a pic of which looked original sat in a large barn possibly your neck of the woods. In the 90s it was a complete car.
Greig an 1 5/16" crank will let go at some point even a Phoenix It makes an awful mess see photo, i have not known an 11/2" crank fail through use other than through some other fault causing it. My crank has done over 20yrs of hill climbs and sprints plus track days often using over 7500rpm sometimes nearly 8000 and is still performing it is pressure fed but there are quite a few supercharged 1 1/2" splash cranks out there racing and hill climbing with no problems.
   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   crank failure.jpg (Size: 63.53 KB / Downloads: 333)
Ouch, I’ve only heard of a few Phoenix let go.... but I suppose they too have a shelf life!
Hi Zeto,
Thanks for the answer about the rods. My curiosity is now satisfied.

Cheers Richard
(29-11-2020, 09:00 PM)Chris.Dallas Wrote: Ouch, I’ve only heard of a few Phoenix let go.... but I suppose they too have a shelf life!

But were they all 1 5/16 or were some 1 1/2?

c
Good question..... possibly all 1 5/16. Last one I saw was years ago when I was 18 ish... barely remember last week now!
Have seen a broken 1 1/2" Phoenix. But someone had previously reground it and reduced the big end fillet radius.
            Robert, re the design fault, presumably where they are radiused below the small end boss?
These have no engine number so must have been replaced at some time.They are in nice condition 
No wear to small ends, no file or hacksaw marks.
Hi Terry
Just curious, but on the high rpm crank broken in the middle, does crack start at inside or outside?