The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racing at Ards Circuit Northern Ireland 1928 - 1936
A friend came across these in his father's effects and sent me photographs of the originals. Some notable names in the list of entries from 18th August 1928 include a pre knighthood Captain Malcolm Campbell in a Bugatti, Frazer Nash in a car of that ilk, Kaye Don in a Lea Francis and Tim Birkin in a Bentley, plus one J D Barnes in the only Austin Seven.
There was a catastrophic pile up in 1936 when six people died, after which there was no more racing at Ards.
I'm not sure how well the photos will come out on here, so if anyone wants further and better particulars please pm me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A very interesting find Colin. Well done. There is a very good write up of the event in Beatrice's book. 
One incident was that Campbell came into the pits after two laps with a fuel leak but the Bentley ignited and was written off...uninsured! 
It probably mattered little to Campbell being a Lloyds Underwriter at the time.
The 1928 Ards TT was the single biggest highlight in Lea Francis racing history as Kaye Don won in 14053 in front of a crowd of around 250,000 people. Something Alvis people haven't, quite, got over to this day Smile

Steve
I know they're both rubbish, Chris, but it was a Bugatti, not a Bentley  Big Grin
What a stunning list of historic drivers.
A Tracta and a Gwynne make for unusual entries.
Marandaz in his own make of car !! I have not seen a Marandaz special for a few years now.
Stirlings mum used to drive a Marandaz.
I helped the artist Debra Wenlock do a book of paintings of the Ards TT in 2003. It's called 'Campari and Soda Bread'.
The Ards TT was one of the biggest ever seen in Northern Ireland. We were inspired by images of the races and now drive an Austin Seven Ulster and a Riley TT Sprite!
(27-11-2020, 10:19 PM)dickie65 Wrote: What a stunning list of historic drivers.
A Tracta and a Gwynne make for unusual entries.
Marandaz in his own make of car !! I have not seen a Marandaz special for a few years now.
Stirling's mum used to drive a Marandaz.

Aileen Moss can be seen driving her Marendaz in the 1934 Colmore Trial film featured in another thread.
Had a go at the Ards TT re-creation events in my Alvis 12/60 in 1986 and Amilcar CGSs in 2003.
Flat-out on public roads!
I spoke to my friend Jim Morrow today. It was his father, born in 1902 and a sergeant in the RUC who attended the race in 1928. Whether in his personal capacity or officially is unclear, but the programme had stayed in his father's army box ever since his retirement in 1964, until Jim unearthed them having found the key to the box in a drawer. Just shows good things can come out of lockdown!
I sent Jim a link to the forum and he is very pleased with the interest everyone on here has shown.