The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balancing Conrods
Hi ,
I have got eight of them with huge difference in section and weight.
I might even have a complete set of big end bolts out of all of them.
When I took an engine apart recently there were brass shims under the big end caps on some of the rods.
The crankshaft is intact as well !!! I have not had it crack tested though.

Jamie,
The Garden shed has given up two big end caps.
One at 75 grams ( it has been lightened )
One at 80 grams.
Sent me a message if an end cap will help.
Weigh your end caps and see if they are less than 80 grams with no shells.

Cheers Dickie
Are you asking about white metalled or shell type rods?
Jamie is after three bearing rods which I believe are all shell bearing type.
Early three bearing rods were white metal, the later ones, shells.
Thank for the correction O Great Wizard of Austin.
I did have that suspicion but was not sure.
Where on the rod is it considered safe to take material from, the big end lugs only?
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Dickie: thank you. I shall weigh the end caps tomorrow and get back to you. I did weigh them and the cap for the heavy rob was heavier than the others, but I cannot remember any of the weights.

Robert: I am looking for a shell type rod. The engine came with have three matching shell type rods and one which is white metalled. I am looking to replace the white metalled one. I do have a replacement shell type for it, but this is the rod which is heavy.

Regards,

Jamie.
Hi Jamie,
I will take my Austin out for some Exercise and rummage in the spares pile for some rods.
I am pretty sure there is a complete three bearing crank and rods plus some odd rods and another three bearing crank.
I know that there is a large box of conrods about 20 kilos of them !!! Mostly two bearing as well as a pile of two bearing crankshafts.
Cranky, well there's the thing, spare metal is not abundant especially to the amount of 20-odd grammes.
If forced I would polish out any stress raisers or lateral grooves as this will make the rod stronger in the long run even if it removes a little thickness. If anyone has dot punched or worse still hacksawed numbering marks into the rod shank that's the first place I'd work on.
(27-11-2020, 10:04 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Thank for the correction  O Great Wizard of Austin.
I did have that suspicion but was not sure.

The only things that have got great(er) over lock down Dickie are my belly, my hair, my beard and my forehead! Big Grin

The story of my nickname is here: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...d#pid16054 disappointingly, it has nothing to do with Austins... Sad