The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grease gun recommendation
I have a Wanner type, I always pull the plunger back and secure it with the chain when not in use.  It still leaks a bit but I think that is due to temperature changes. It pays to keep an old rag next to the grease gun.
I have had mine for years don’t know the make. I bought a flexible hose from Amazon (Not a sponser) and found it far better to get into awkward places. I did have to put my old end on however as it fits and grips the nipples better.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(27-11-2020, 10:42 AM)John Mason Wrote: .....I did have to put my old end on however as it fits and grips the nipples better.

John Mason
I say, steady on old chap!
I was taught that if the nipple does not quite fit snugly enough into the grease gun nozzle, you put a stocking/tight (just a piece, not the whole thing!) over it first.  Probably wise to remove the lady from the stocking/tight first.
I've never, really, got on too well with any grease gun but I've used a Wanner for a long time and that's about the best. I do find that mine air locks a lot for some reason and can be a pain to clear. Like others, I release the tension on the spring by pulling the plunger back when not in use.

Steve
Years ago I lent my Wanner out to a neighbour. He returned it saying he'd refilled it with grease. However he'd just taken the cap off and put the grease the wrong side of the piston!
(27-11-2020, 09:48 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I have a Wanner type, I always pull the plunger back and secure it with the chain when not in use.  It still leaks a bit but I think that is due to temperature changes. It pays to keep an old rag next to the grease gun.

+1

Ian Mc.
Thanks everyone. I shall pull the plunger back on the one I have and see what happens. Failing that I'll ask Father Christmas for a Wanner.
Some time ago I took a punt on a Wanner grease gun on eBay. Used it for the first time this week and it is a revelation. Air bleed valve and back pressure relief valve that work perfectly, and a nozzle that swivels, locks on and releases without drama. There are several on eBay this evening. Highly recommended.
Thanks Colin. 

I've been storing mine with the plunger pulled back and it has cured the leakiness completely. Much less messy.