The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small screws fitting speedo to dash?
Can anybody  tell me what type of thread ,BA 5 or  1/8" BSW ,I am able to messure outside diameter of two   excisting  screws  as near 1/8" but my thread gauge  is a bit diffycult  for me to use because my eyes are not what they were 50 years ago. 1 of excisting looks same as those that goes through shell and into mazak speedo body ,45degree angled for 1929 boattail car. 
Thanks in advance for advice where to get a few more screws
Mogens
For the vintage cars with PA or A type speedo's. I use a 4BA, stainless raised head screw to secure them to the dashboard. The switch panel (SM3 or SM5) is secured with 2BA stainless raised head screws. I don't know whether these sizes are original or not but they're easy to obtain and look good.

You can find the screws on eBay or from various UK suppliers (Kay's, Namrick, Spalding Fasteners).
I fitted a PA speedo a couple of weeks ago. 4BA raised countersunk. One fastener was missing but hunting around in my box of bits I found a fourth.

Steve
Thank you .
Parazine , these screws have obvious become as rare as heens teeths ! I have since  2007 bought many mixed pack of BSF /BSW bolts &nuts from Namrick .Pleased with them ,exept 1 mixed pack of BA screws &nuts (none BA5 in pack) 
The speedometer is a PA type  , and 2 screws have been able to hold it to dashboard for 281 miles ,run last and this year. Now car is on aksel stands waiting for Friendly spring weather.
Mogens
Funnily enough, I just ordered some 4BA stainless for fitting up the dashboard on the Top Hat project. 2BA were easy from Spalding Fasteners but no-one seems to have 4BA currently. I eventually found a seller on eBay called "Spinningbrass" but if you don't do eBay you can go to:

Nuts & Bolts for model Engineers

For some years now I have been using m3 raised head countersunk nickel plated brass screws from RS components. 
   These sit down nicely in the countersink and can be easily patinated to suit the instruments.
Thank you all  ,for advice  .I think .The easy but not t eye catching solution will be to use 3mm raised countersunk screws for speedometer mounting on dashboard, as used by Robert Foreman.
Mogens

.jpg   P1020432.JPG (Size: 124.6 KB / Downloads: 90) They look excellent as per the photograph of my car.