The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag link end cap
Steve wrote
"Definitely Podger in Yorkshire. Used, among other things, for lining up the holes at the joints in railway lines."
I have come across podgers in scaffolding work etc. but for some reason our family name for an alignment tool is "broggler"
Possibly something derived from a broach or brooch pin...?
Sounds fishy to me - to broggle is to fish for eels using a brog.(1781 OED). A brog was originally a bradawl, or similar instrument used for pricking or boring - is that what I am doing here?
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
(30-11-2020, 08:29 PM)Bob Olive Wrote: Sounds fishy to me - to broggle is to fish for eels using a brog.(1781 OED). A brog was originally a bradawl, or similar instrument used for pricking or boring - is that what I am doing here?
Another of my grandfather's tools - a bradawl,  which could be used as a podger for small holes  - in Meccano this was incorrectly named a 'drift'.
(29-11-2020, 12:47 PM)Mick Hanna Wrote: I made some up from the Dorset link and they have worked brilliantly.

I modified one of Tony Betts' excellent value brand new draglink sets by silver soldering a 3/8 disc onto the end, turning it flush, tapping and painting.

Charles
A Meccano friend has corrected me- a Meccano 'drift' is a in fact a 'podger'  Sorry Meccano Ltd  Binns Road Sad