The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag link end cap
Charles, the Bell Hagg is now a private dwelling and has been beautifully converted with an atrium between the two main buildings. Very large and very tall as it extends down the bank side. Seems big enough for a very large family. We live on the other side of the Rivelin Valley at Stannington.
It really depends on what is in your scrap bin, I had some square section that slid nicely inside each other so I built this, but you can see I have too much time on my hands...a sash clamp would work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
My method of doing this is to fit the drag link in position with the end cap fitted. Then I hold the drag link with one hand and hold the bolt in position with my thumb, pressing it firmly in place. A sharp tap with a hammer on the end cap causes the spring to compress momentarily. This is usually enough to allow the bolt to enter the drag link itself. If it isn't, hit it harder.
Once the bolt has started it can be tapped home.
Jim
I have always used Austin Woods method of giving the end cap a sharp tap with a heavy hammer, but I might try a sash cramp next time.
Mark, I too have reached the age when I mark my home made tools for purpose, not so much for me but for posterity, in case someone throws them out.
Hi All

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the mod detailed in the Dorset A7 web pages by Terrytuned. 

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...ations.htm

Probably not for the purist.

I’ve carried this out on the special and it makes drag link installation very easy.  Simply assemble everything then tighten up the adjusting nut.  Rather than a locknut I use Loctite on the thread.

Pic below shows the two links and the additional mod of a grease nipple to make sure the back of the ball is lubricated.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I made some up from the Dorset link and they have worked brilliantly.

(28-11-2020, 09:51 PM)squeak Wrote: Mark, I too have reached the age when I mark my home made tools for purpose, not so much for me but for posterity, in case someone throws them out.

Yes I have a drawer labelled "Special Tools" full of previously unlabeled tools that I now have no idea what they do even though I built them.
Cheers

Mark
Bodgers were (although there may still be one or two I believe) woodmen who made simple rustic furniture, on site in the woodland usually using a 'pole-lathe', (utilising a green sapling bent over plus a bobbin for a crude but effective power source) to turn chair legs and such.  The term is nowadays used to describe someone not doing a job of work properly - but then that wouldn't apply to us Heptaphiles - would it?
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Bodging is alive and well in woodlands near me ......

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7...e-bodgers/