The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much torque does an A7 engine produce
Morning, 

Does anyone know roughly how much torque the Austin Seven engine produces in any different configurations? 

Of personal interest would be something similar to my car. It's a 1934 RP. The bottom end is new with a Barlow crank and rods, and 57mm pistons from Mr Betts. It has a Ruby high compression head and an SU carb. Exhaust is standard. 

Obviously no-one will be able to say without having it on a dyno but just looking for an order of magnitude, or indeed if anyone knows what the standard car made, or what your highly tuned race engine produces.

Thanks
Geoff
Well, a standard engine at 12hp and 2500rpm equates to 25lbf ft of torque. Roughly multiply horsepower by 5250 and divide by engine speed.
Alan Fairless
Hi Geoff

I estimate about 30 lbs ft at 2000 RPM for your engine, and maybe a bit more at higher RPM for something more highly tuned.
Hi Folks,
I am hoping to get my car on a rolling road in the new year. ( SU Carb )
So I will be able to report back with tuned high reving fast road that I can run at 5000 rpm in fourth. (It will rev more in the lower gears )
I know torque is lost compared with a standard car at low revs in my car that means under 2500 RPM. but above that I have gains.
(25-11-2020, 09:35 AM)Geoff101 Wrote: Morning, 

Does anyone know roughly how much torque the Austin Seven engine produces in any different configurations? 

Of personal interest would be something similar to my car. It's a 1934 RP. The bottom end is new with a Barlow crank and rods, and 57mm pistons from Mr Betts. It has a Ruby high compression head and an SU carb. Exhaust is standard. 

Obviously no-one will be able to say without having it on a dyno but just looking for an order of magnitude, or indeed if anyone knows what the standard car made, or what your highly tuned race engine produces.

interesting that you are asking about torque — most people seeking improved performance seem to want extra bhp. I would have thought that is easier to quantify than torque, but then I’m not an engineer. My special developed around 30 bhp at 500 revs. I would allow at least 10% over estimate but 27 bhp will provide lively performance if the weight is kept down — perhaps less of an option in your case.
Thanks
Geoff
Power is simply torque times engine speed. It’s torque - the turning force of the engine - that matters. I guess horsepower is more exciting than ft.lbf. But a dynamometer fundamentally measures torque.
Alan Fairless
(25-11-2020, 08:21 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(25-11-2020, 09:35 AM)Geoff101 Wrote: Morning, 

interesting that you are asking about torque — most people seeking improved performance seem to want extra bhp. I would have thought that is easier to quantify than torque, but then I’m not an engineer. My special developed around 30 bhp at 500 revs. I would allow at least 10% over estimate but 27 bhp will provide lively performance if the weight is kept down — perhaps less of an option in your case.
ps excuse typo — 5000 rpm

Thanks
Geoff
Given a Torque v Power graph often looks like this, torque and power can have a complex relationship in a real engine?  
(Note this isn't a Seven engine.)

Attached Files
.jpg   Power Torque.jpg (Size: 68.29 KB / Downloads: 295)
Thanks all. I'm just considering options for propshafts given that mine has some play in the rear joint, hence asking about torque.
Colin, the torque and horsepower will cross at 5250 as a function of the formula. At rpms above 5250 the torque can be falling off and horsepower gaining. If the torque curve was still headed up over 5250, the lines would still cross. HP is always a smaller number than torque below 5250 and larger above. It has to do with not only how much coal the horse can haul out of the mine (torque), but how fast too (horsepower). Mike