The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sump gasket
Malcom, Please don’t give us that Sh*t It is far better to use a man made poo. Oops I really meant a scientifically made sealant that sticks like poo.

John Mason

P.s. please excuse the toilet humour.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I cured my sump gasket leak by helicoiling all the damaged sump bolt threads and fitting the sump back with a paper gasket, well covered in grease and new bolts. Still haven't been able to cure the leak from the nearside rear of the block to crankcase joint, though I am beginning to suspect that it is coming from the tappet cover. However, since the engine is using (leaking?) less that 500 miles per pint, I shall live with it.
David, since rebuilding the engine, mine is pretty near oil tight, but with a similar leak to the one you mention. I have used a silicone valve chest cover gasket but after a run there is always a bit of oil on the bottom right hand corner of the cover. I suspect it is oil mist coming out of the vent holes being blown rearwards by the 4 blade fan, or possibly a poor seal on one of the hold down screws. I have decided that it is less hassle to just give it a wipe down after a run rather than take it apart to try and cure it.
The only problem with having a completely oil tight engine is that it is not immediately obvious that there is any oil inside it!
I quite like leaving the odd drop of oil when I park.  It's the Austin 7 equivalent of a dog cocking it's leg.
(26-11-2020, 10:27 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: David, since rebuilding the engine, mine is pretty near oil tight, but with a similar leak to the one you mention. I have used a silicone valve chest cover gasket but after a run there is always a bit of oil on the bottom right hand corner of the cover. I suspect it is oil mist coming out of the vent holes being blown rearwards by the 4 blade fan, or possibly a poor seal on one of the hold down screws. I have decided that it is less hassle to just give it a wipe down after a run rather than take it apart to try and cure it.

Ditto, Bruce. On my car though, some of it seems to blow in through the gap by the gearbox and lubricates the floor under the rubber mat. I keep plenty of old rags! However, given that age of the car and the use it gets (last night on the way back from Mold I saw 10,000 miles come up since I bought the car just over two years ago) I think I can live with its little foibles. And I think you may be right about the vent holes, given the slight smell of hot oil that seeps into the car at times.

Going to have to wash it today. It looks as if it has been on the Colmore rally!
Just an afterthought - I rarely throw away a sound used bolt or nut - they all go in a plastic rummage-tub. I'd think twice before re-using one on a big end, but for a sump bolt/ stud? Quick clean-up with a thread die and Bob's your uncle. It's hardly a critical application.