The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sump gasket
A further vote for Threebond that I started using on Terry's advice. However, for sumps I'm now a firm convert to studs and a silicone gasket for both tin and alloy versions. 1/4" BSW studs can take some finding at a reasonable price but 1/4" UNC are all but the same (slightly different thread angle) and are available more reasonably if you hunt around. I bought 60 for around £15 on ebay a while back. Fitted into the crankcase with Loctite stud lock and with 1/4" UNC Nylocs and a silicone gasket, works a treat.

Steve
Me too an alloy sump and yes Zeto I take your point about relative difficulty of assuring flatness of a steel sump - though not impossible I'd venture.
Steve,
1/4" BSW studding in plain MS, plated MS, stainless and brass is readily available. Studding allows you to vary the length of thread if required.
Don't sully the ship with this American stuff!
The problem with studding, Chris, is that it repeats the potential problem with the original Austin sump bolts in that oil can find its way down the thread from inside the sump for the holes that aren't blind. The benefit of studs is that they're not fully threaded so once home, a physical 'stop' is in place as an additional barrier to block the oil's track.

As to American stuff, I take your point but in the case of 1/4", I defy any but the most pedantic to tell the difference between BSW and UNC. If it is a major issue, you can help your conscience by using BSW nuts instead of UNC - they fit fine and nobody will ever know Wink

Steve
I've often thought a better solution would be to blank off the holes which go through into the sump - not beyond the wit of man surely? Though I've never got quite interested enough to actually attempt it.

Personally I wouldn't ever use the wrong thread if the right one is available, regardless of other factors. It's not that hard to make a few studs either from round bar or from long bolts. (I've just made some 7/32" BSF bolts from old 1/4" BSF!)
Use fibre washers in place of metal ones on the original bolts, or make some by chopping and drilling short pieces of leather.
If you are wanting to seal a worn thread what's wrong with a splosh of loctite?

This will certainly seal the thread and as long as you choose the correct product you should be able to remove the stud without too much trauma.
Hi Folks,
I am that Pedant !
You can feel the misfit of the threads as well.
You can swap metric and UNC in some sizes as well !!!
BSW socket cap screws are still easy to find and fine for the sump gauze and sump.
£4.25 for 20 in 5/8" Grade 12-9
I have found 1/2" x 1/4" Whit hex set bolts Grade R @ 38 pence each ( cheaper by the hundred )
I am one for paper gaskets sealed with blue hylomar and seal the sump bolts in with hylomar which does not go hard.
Gentlemen, might I suggest considering  Loctite 222 or Loctite 390 for the sump ends of your studs?
Didn't I read once that soft goats poo was the preferred sealant?