The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sump gasket
Whats the best sealant for a new paper sump gasket ?
Mine certainly needed cleaning out ! There was a inch of sludge .
Hi Morrisminor

You’ll get a chorus of replies saying don’t use paper and don’t use sealant.  Buy a silicon gasket from a cherished supplier and forget about sump joint oil leaks  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
Yes, I've just looked at the chorus that ends act 1, full range of sopranos, tenors and basses. I've translated the libretto from Italian into English. And all fifty seven of them are singing "Don't use paper and don't use sealant. Buy a silicon gasket from a cherished supplier, and when you put it together make sure all faces are scrupulously clean and dry." Applause, all proceed rapidly to the bar.
Three bond silicon 1215 Ebay Terry.
(25-11-2020, 12:38 AM)Terrytuned Wrote: Three bond silicon 1215  Ebay  Terry.

My choice too.
By far the best silicon sealant in my book.
I think most sump joint leakage comes from the retaining bolt holes, the threads of which are usually worn.  No doubt the silicone gaskets are good but the fixings are equally important.
(25-11-2020, 09:43 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I think most sump joint leakage comes from the retaining bolt holes, the threads of which are usually worn.  No doubt the silicone gaskets are good but the fixings are equally important.

Agreed. I replace them with studs, which helps

C
Permatex works well. It is a non hardening sealant. It works by having an alcohol type spirit built into it. This allows it to be fluid enough to brush on and on threads etc then the spirt evaporates off leaving a sticky oil, petrol and water sure sealant.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Another vote for Threebond, though I think the flatness of the joint matters more than the sealant per se.

Plus I heartily agree with Malcolm, far more comes out of the screw holes than the flanges.

As for studs, well perhaps but in my car it would be impossible to remove the sump.
Bear in mind Terrytuned and Charles P will be using alloy sumps Threebond  a good choice there and wont need much sealant as you have two machined surfaces coming together,
but for a tin sump the silicone gasket takes up the undulations and variable compressive force nicely , can be reused, and no mess to clean up on dismantling.
I too use studs and nuts, studs fitted with sealant into crankcase.