The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions
1. What is the best way to flush a steering box of old grease?

2. My friend wanted a go in the old girl and changed from 2nd gear, missed 3rd and straight into 1st while moving and absolutely RAMMED it into gear, the box did not sound happy, could have any lasting damage occurred? (He was stopped and I promptly got back in the driving seat)
1. Why do you want to do it? IThe only way to clean it properly is to remove the box and column, strip it down and flush with a degreasant.

2. Probably not but if you're in any doubt, drain the gearbox oil and see if there are any metal bits that come out with the oil. If so, go and tip the contents on your mate's head.
The grease in the box is almost like wax after its sat for what I think is probably decades. So I was concerned about the steering box possibly being improperly lubricated.
Rekkers is 100% right, old grease etc will need probably need to be mechanical removed with a scraper before a proper wash with degreaser. then you can check on bushes, bearings & seals and rebuild what needs rebuilding.

As for the box, yep these things are tough, but if you can read the manufacturer's part numbers on the bits that come out with the oil, follow Rekker's advice with the contents...

Aye
Greig
If your concerned about the steering box put some straight ie non additive gear oil in it Hopefully this will 
soften and mix with what’s in there.
The contents of the Ruby's steering box did not quite need the attention of a needle gun, but vigorous physical removal was required. As mentioned above, the job is only possible when the box has been taken out of the car, and takes many days.
Question 2.
3-speed box or four? I've no idea about the 4-speed, but the standard 3-speed box is incredibly strong and, in driving tests it was quite normal to bang in reverse while going forwards. By 1963 this box, original to the car, had probably done 100,000 miles and in my hands would have done the same again by 1974. It survived that, together with three-plus years of moderately vigorous competition use in the hands of a none-too-sympathetic driver. Hence, if a 3-speed, I'd take a bet that no damage was done to box.
Hi

I think your car is a big seven and hence will have a synchromesh gearbox. Ramming into gears could possibly affect the synchro cones but really only time will tell.  The damage may have been done and I don’t think you can make things worse by continuing to use the car until you notice something wrong.

Like others have said best take the steering box off the car if you need to refresh the oil.  But if it’s working why worry?  Add some oil as Zeto suggests.

Cheers

Howard
The 1st gear on 4 speed boxes is very heavily proportioned compared with many later and more powerful cars. On frail boxes gross misuse can shed a tooth which would be apparent as a click or knock. (Morris 1000). Ramming into gear may chip the edge but I suspect a quick forceful action probably less harmful than less positve fumblings. Most straight cut gears a re chipped on the edge to some extent.
When young I used to waste hours meticulously cleaning parts, pondering ideal lubricants, changing greases etc. But the steering box is just simple bearings and a thck mcheap engine oil added will reach key parts. Solid old grease can stay for the ride. Metal dust will find its way to the bottom.
Maybe a hair dryer played on it will soften the grase so it will ooze out, with the box still in the car.